===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I wish there was a time machine that would take me back to witness performances like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IRVVwFxOk

Nothing Coldplay is doing now or will ever do in the future, no matter how good it is, will have the same intensity they had back in those years.
I know how you feel.. Sometimes it makes me irrationally sad I wasn't older/a Coldplay fan back then. What I'd give to go to one of the early concerts....

aaronm360

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I know how you feel.. Sometimes it makes me irrationally sad I wasn't older/a Coldplay fan back then. What I'd give to go to one of the early concerts....
I always feel strangely nostaligic about this era too, and that time around the late nineties/early noughties in general. That sort of music almost never gets played on mainstream radio these days, but I would have been ecstatic to hear some X&Y or AROBTTH tunes when they came out on the radio.

I remember my mom always playing X&Y in the car around the time it came out, even though I was way too young to go to any concerts or anything. The first time I saw them live was the AHFODT, though I tried to get tickets for the GS tour...but it’s just not the same as the thought of going to a concert in the early noughties:weary_face:

Famous Old Painter

KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWICH
Coldplayer
Now we've had some time to sit with it, do we think Everyday Life counts as a return to Oldplay or not?

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I think it's a mix of Oldplay and the better aspects of Newplay (e.g., collabs and world music influences done right)

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I'd have a hard time calling it Oldplay.... Depending on what LP9 sounds like, I might even argue that perhaps Oldplay (Parachtues - Viva) and Newplay (MX - AHFOD) might be limiting categorizations.

I'd say EL has more similarities with Viva, which also explored one-off genres and felt (risky/experimental) for the band. Viva for me has always been the transition between Oldplay and Newplay -- it kept the alternative part of their roots and mixed it with new genres propelling them into Mylo Xyloto and more pop-friendly stuff. Perhaps EL will be yet another transition from Newplay to NewNewPlay ? haha

If I had to categorize EL, I'd say it's a refined, acoustic version of Newplay.