Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Philippines need your help

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
AT LEAST 189 KILLED BY STORM WASHI IN THE PHILIPPINES

The death toll in the Philippines has risen to 189 following a powerful, tropical storm named WASHI that hit the southern part of the island state causing massive flooding and landslides.

According to military spokesman Leopoldo Galon about 400 are missing. 71 have been found dead in worst-hit Cagayan de Oro City - a port city on the island of MINDANAO.

Earlier the death toll was reported to be 71, but later the death toll was reported to be 97.

In other parts of the island 48 have drowned, of which at least 40 in Iligan City. 5 died in a landslide.

Source: Danish text-TV (DR1 and TV2 News) plus TV2 live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16229394

17 December 2011 Last updated at 09:40 GMT

Philippines storm triggers deadly flash floods

Flash floods sparked by a tropical storm in the southern Philippines have killed at least 180 people and left hundreds missing, officials say.

Many of the victims were asleep when it struck Mindanao island, killing many in Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro.

Tens of thousands of people have fled to higher ground, the authorities say.

Benito Ramos, head of the national disaster rescue agency, said reports were still coming in and the casualty figures could rise.

Mr Ramos said the floodwaters had risen alarmingly fast overnight as people slept.

"Massive flooding had been reported over the region, especially in Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro City," he said

Rivers burst their banks after 25mm of rain fell in 24 hours.

Large areas were left without power and some domestic flights were cancelled as winds of up to 90 km/h (55mph) swept across the island.

A landslide killed at least five people in the east of the island, the national disaster agency said.

A military spokesman, Colonel Leopoldo Galon, said an entire army division - some 10,000 soldiers - was involved in the rescue efforts around Cagayan de Oro.

Nearly 100 dead bodies - most of them children - had already been found in the city, officials say.

Forecasters said the eye of Tropical Storm Washi had passed close to Dipolog City, west of Iligan City, early on Saturday and it was now heading out into the Sulu Sea.Search for bodies

Floods had swamped a quarter of Iligan and at least 10 villages on its outskirts, said the city's mayor, Lawrence Cruz.

"It's the worst flood in the history of our city," Mr Cruz told GMA television. "It happened so fast, at a time when people were fast asleep."

The coast guard and other rescuers were scouring the waters off the coastal city for survivors or bodies, he added.

GMA television broadcast dramatic footage of a family escaping their flood-hit home by climbing through a window.

Rescue workers were pictured helping survivors to safety in chest-deep floodwater.

Three people also drowned in Polanco town in Zamboanga del Norte province, said provincial disaster officer Dennis Tenorio. He said high winds had toppled trees.

The storm is set to hit the western island of Palawan later on Saturday, after crossing the Sulu Sea with winds of up to 75 km/h, according to state weather forecasters.

The Philippines are struck by about 20 major storms every year.

Typhoons Nesat and Nalgae battered the country within days of each other in September, leaving more than 100 people dead.

More news can be read at/on the Filipino website:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/

inengsol1500

Snow Crystals
Coldplayer
Thanks again, Nancy, for the posts!

There are reports that 213 are dead but with many still missing, I fear that the number of fatalities might still increase. :(

Still looking for more links on donations and other info. So far, I have these:

One for Iligan

Philippine Red Cross

and

BPI Dollar Account
Account name: ABS-CBN Foundation Inc.-Sagip Kapamilya
Account Number: 3054-0270-35
Branch: West Triangle, Quezon City
Swift Code: BOPIPHMM

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16236757

18 December 2011 Last updated at 13:40 GMT

Philippines flood toll passes 650 as search continues

The number of people killed in the Philippines by floods triggered by Tropical Storm Washi has risen to 650.

Soldiers and volunteers are still searching for the 800 people reported missing on southern Mindanao island.

Many were trapped in their homes as the flash floods coincided with high tides. In some places entire villages are reported to have been swept away.

Authorities have been criticised for not giving enough warning of the storm's severity.

However the state disaster agency said adequate warnings had been given to officials and residents three days before it reached land on Friday.

The BBC's Kate McGeown in the capital Manila says most of the 20 typhoons and major storms that hit the country each year affect the north - and many in Mindanao were unprepared for the severity of Tropical Storm Washi.

'Overwhelming'

The major ports of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan were among the areas worst hit on Friday night.

Hundreds of bodies have been found in each of the two cities - many piled up in makeshift morgues.

Other bodies are gradually being washed ashore along the northern Mindanao coastline or are being found floating at sea.

The scale of the disaster has forced the local authorities to issue an appeal for body bags and coffins.

"It's overwhelming. We didn't expect these many dead," said Benito Ramos, head of the government's disaster response agency.

The Philippines Red Cross is helping co-ordinate the search for those missing with the government and other aid agencies.

"Our office was swamped with hundreds of requests to help find their missing parents, children and relatives," said Gwendolyn Pang, Red Cross Secretary-General.

Most of the dead were women and children, Ms Pang said.

She said many bodies remained unclaimed, raising the possibility that entire families had been swept away.

Food and water are also urgently needed for the many displaced people.

Almost 35,000 people were still sheltering in evacuation centres on Sunday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

But others are living in the remains of their homes, with no electricity or running water.

Some of the survivors told of remarkable escapes after their villages were hit by floodwater.

One woman said she survived - along with eight family members and neighbours - by sitting on the tin roof of her house as it drifted down a river and miles into the open sea, where they were rescued by a cargo ship.

"There was a deafening sound followed by a rush of water. We found ourselves in the river and the current took us out to the sea," Carmelita Pulosan, 42, from Cagayan de Oro, told Reuters.

"The current was very strong. God is really good to us. He saved my family," she said.

Danish text-TV on DR1: 650 people dead in the Philippines. 20,000 soldiers have been mobilized to help the survivors and to search for dead bodies in the mud.

The government in Manila and Red Cross are appealing for help.

The flood followed a massive tropical storm with lots of rain - 25 mm per hour that caused the rivers to overflow their banks, and many drowned. The storm hit mainly the southern part of the Philippines in the night between Friday and Saturday.

The disaster affects 100,000 people who are in urgent need of help.

Jochelle

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/21125/uk-condoles-with-‘sendong’-victims?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

UK condoles with ‘Sendong’ victims

MANILA, Philippines—British Minister of State Jeremy Brown has sent his condolences to the victims of Tropical Storm “Sendong,” which hit northern Mindanao starting Friday.
“The loss of life caused by flooding in the Philippines is tragic. I visited the Philippines earlier this month and know how keenly this loss will be felt by all its people,” Brown said in a statement released by the British Embassy in Manila.
“I would like to express my sincere condolences to the families and friends of those affected. My thoughts are with them and the Government of the Philippines as they lead the recovery work,” he added.

The sympathy from all over the world is overwhelming. Thank you. Please pray for the Philippines.

inengsol1500

Snow Crystals
Coldplayer
927 are confirmed dead now.

My housemate was telling us last night that her aunt-in-law died in the flashfloods. :(

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
927 are confirmed dead now.

My housemate was telling us last night that her aunt-in-law died in the flashfloods. :(

I am sad to read this. :cry: May her aunt-in-law rest in peace (R.I.P.).

All the best to your housemate and her family.

sp★rkle

drowning in Nai Cha
Coldplayer
The LBC Foundation has relief operations in Singapore, KSA, UAE, HK, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, UK, Spain, Italy, you can drop off your goods there.

This one is specifically for Singapore:

LBC AirCargo: 04-077 Lucky Plaza, Orchard Road, Singapore

And here is their online website: http://www.lbcexpress.com/

Anyone who wishes to send help in any way (monetary, canned goods, toiletries, clean clothes, towels, blankets), please take them to the Philippine embassy/consulate in your country as there are no relief points that has been set up yet that we know of aside from the LBC branches.

I'm really sorry for taking actions just now, as I've been dealing with plenty of stuff. I'll try my very best to coordinate with someone outside the country so we can set up relief points just like from 2 years ago. Its really heart breaking to see the news and hear first hand accounts of the people who were affected by the flashfloods and whose families drowned. And at christmastime. :cry:

Don't forget to pray for the Philippines...

sp★rkle

drowning in Nai Cha
Coldplayer

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16249763

19 December 2011 Last updated at 17:23 GMT

Philippines floods: Aid agencies say 120,000 in need

Aid agencies in the Philippines are trying to reach more than 120,000 people affected by flash flooding on the island of Mindanao.

Coastal communities were devastated early on Saturday in flash floods triggered by a tropical storm.

Officials in two cities said mass burials were being organised as bodies were rapidly decomposing in the heat.

At least 972 people died in the disaster, according to goverment sources.

"We lost count for those still missing," disaster managment chief Benito Ramos said in a short statement.

Disaster agencies are attempting to provide food, water, medicine and body bags, but damaged roads are hampering efforts to reach survivors in remote villages.

The authorities on Mindanao have been criticised for their handling of the disaster, the BBC's Kate McGeown reports from Cagayan de Oro, one of the worst-hit areas.

Other parts of the country have detailed plans of what to do if a strong storm or typhoon happens, but it seems that many officials on Mindanao were caught unprepared, she adds.

About 40,000 people on Mindanao are living in evacuation centres after losing their homes and possessions.

China and the US are among international donors offering assistance.

Mr Ramos said funeral parlours had been overwhelmed by the catastrophe.

Speaking from a boat off Cagayan de Oro, he told AFP news agency: "I'm out here retrieving bodies that are starting to rise to the surface."

Corpses unclaimed

Officials in Cagayan de Oro said corpses were piling up unclaimed at mortuaries and overworked staff had run out of coffins.

One establishment turned away the bodies of two drowned children, local media reported.

The ports of Iligan and nearby Cagayan de Oro bore the brunt of the flooding.

Two concrete communal tombs were being constructed in Iligan, said Teresita Badiang, an engineer at the Iligan mayor's office.

The bodies would be placed side by side "so that their burial will be dignified", she added.

Strict guidelines would have to be followed for mass burials, including photographing corpses and listing identifying marks, said Philippine Red Cross chief Gwendolyn Pang.

"I'm sure their families will look for them," she said.

The flash floods struck in the early hours of Saturday as a passing tropical storm coincided with high tides.

As rivers burst their banks, many were trapped in their homes while in other areas entire villages are reported to have been swept away.

Although the Philippines is struck by several typhoons and tropical storms every year, the south of the country usually escapes the worst damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16251316

19 December 2011 Last updated at 17:21 GMT

Philippines floods: A Christmas to forget in Mindanao

By Kate McGeown / BBC News, Philippines

When Jerry Mamonguy last saw this wife and three children, they were clinging on to the roof of their home as it was washed down-river.

"My neighbour's house slammed into mine. Everyone fell in the water and was pulled by the undertow," he said.

He is now on a desperate search to find out what happened to his family - a hunt that has taken him to evacuation centres and morgues around the coastline of northern Mindanao.

We met him as he came out of one of the main funeral parlours in Cagayan de Oro City. More than 60 bodies were there, but he recognised none of them.

As he headed off to his next destination, he looked broken.

Another woman at the mortuary, Catherine Cabahug Ramos, was also visibly upset.

She had identified her mother's body earlier in the day, gone back home, then when she came to collect it, found it had already been claimed by someone else.

Outside the building, people were making rudimentary coffins - but it was clear they could not meet the demand.

It is obvious that the authorities are struggling to cope with the sheer scale of the disaster.

At the morgue we visited, some of the bodies had been moved to a nearby landfill site, simply to get rid of the smell.

And in Iligan City, which was also badly affected by the storm, mayor Lawrence Cruz came to a difficult decision.

"We have decided, after consultation with our city health officer, that we should start digging graves for the bodies and bury them temporarily because they are already in the advanced state of decomposition," he told local media.

Water challenge

But it is not just the dead that are an urgent issue - many of the living are also in need of basic essentials like food, water and shelter.

According to both World Vision and Unicef, which are both providing aid in the region, adequate drinking water is currently the biggest challenge.

When we visited one of Cagayan de Oro's evacuation centres - a building that is usually used as a school - 15 people were living in every room.

When a water truck arrived, everyone picked up plastic buckets and bottles and went running towards it, eager to get as much as they could.

Each one of them has a tale to tell from the day the storm barrelled into the region.

One little boy showed me a scar from where he was hit by a large piece of corrugated iron. A lady of 86 described how she was shivering and crying at the time she was rescued.

Some of the schools and community halls they are now living in still have Christmas decorations - but for many people here on the northern coast of Mindanao, this is likely to be a Christmas they would rather forget.

Headlines from other news sites:

CBC Edmonton: Deadly Philippines storm requires mass burials 31 mins ago

News24.com: Mass burial for Philippine flood victims 2 hrs ago

Reuters UK: Philippines digs graves after typhoon kills hundreds 6 hrs ago

Yahoo! UK and Ireland: Flood-hit Philippine cities prepare mass burials 6 hrs ago

----------------

How to help:

Watch inengsol's post 322 & Sparkle's posts 327 and 328 above

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
How to help the Philippines:

Watch inengsol's post 322 & Sparkle's posts 327 and 328 above

inengsol1500

Snow Crystals
Coldplayer
I am sad to read this. :cry: May her aunt-in-law rest in peace (R.I.P.).

All the best to your housemate and her family.
and to make things worst, the aunt was also holding their baby during the flash floods. The baby is still missing. :bigcry:

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
News from Danish text-TV (DR1 and TV2):

The past week-end's typhoon Washi left enormous devastation on the south-Filipino island of MINDANAO where villages have been destroyed and roads have disappeared.

Dead bodies are spread along rivers and in streams.

Today - Tuesday, 20 December 2011 -the Filipino president Benigno Aquino III visited the affected area, and he promised that the government will help the many thousands of victims.

"This is a national disaster. I can guarantee that the state will assist you in rebuilding your houses. In return, I expect you to promise me that you will not build in areas where you might be in danger (at risk)", he said.

News from TV2 News, live:

The death toll has passed 1,000. Thousands have become homeless (I think the figure was more than 40,000).

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
FEAR OF DISEASES AFTER TYPHOON ON THE PHILIPPINES

(source: Danish text-TV on DR1)

Local officials on the southern part of the island of MINDANAO that was hardest-hit by the storm "WASHI" said Wednesday that there is a growing risk of cholera and other diseases.

The storm triggered FLOODING and LANDSLIDES.

The death toll has risen to over 1,000.
According to the authorities, the death toll might rise because dead bodies of those washed into the sea during the storm are still being washed ashore.

According to official information, 44,000 people that fled flooded houses are now living in evacuation centres with no good sanitary conditions what increases the risk of epidemics.

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
PHILIPPINES DIGGING GRAVES AFTER THE TYPHOON "WASHI"

Source: Danish newspaper "Berlingske Tidende", 20.12.11

ILIGAN: Yesterday, aid agencies transported body bags, food, water and medicine to the packed evacuation centres in the southern part of the Philippines (Mindanao). At the same time, the authorities decreed that hundreds of graves should be dug in order to avoid / avert diseases after the hundred+ deaths in last week's flood.

According to the Filipino authorities, so far 684 are confirmed dead, whereas more than 800 are missing after the typhoon "Washi" that hit the southern island of Mindanao sending masses of water and mud through the villages along the rivers of the island.

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
THE PHILIPPINES (TV2): THE NUMBER OF MISSING AFTER THE RAVAGING OF THE TROPICAL STORM "WASHI" IN THE SOUTHERN PHILIPPINES RISING

The fate of 1,080 people is unknown. Relatives make inquiries in their search for missing loved ones. The number of missing is much higher that what the authorities estimated up to Thursday when between 400 and 500 were reported missing.

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
The Danish newspaper Berlingske Tidende wrote on 24 December 2011:

Denmark has donated 300,000 Danish kroner to the southern part of the Philippines (Mindanao). The aid is earmarked 1,500 families in the southern Philippines - in particular in the area covering Cugayan de Oro and Iligan.

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16336706

27 December 2011 Last updated at 12:26 GMT

Philippines Typhoon Washi death toll reaches 1,249

A total of 1,249 people are now known to have died in flash floods that struck the southern Philippines more than a week ago.

Officials say more bodies had been found in the waters south of the island of Mindanao.

It is not clear how many people are still missing but officials say the search for bodies will continue.

Typhoon Washi struck from 16 to 18 December, devastating the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan.

Many of those who died were sleeping as Typhoon Washi caused rivers to burst their banks, leading to landslides. Entire villages were washed away.

Civil defence chief Benito Ramos said that an earlier higher death toll provided by the health department had been revised downwards and that the current toll was now based on an actual count of both identified and unidentified recovered bodies.

Appeal for funds

Regional disaster council chief Ana Caneda told AFP news agency that they expected to find more bodies.

"There are still a lot of areas we have examined that are stinking of dead bodies," she told the agency. "We don't know how many people are buried under that mud."

The national disaster agency said it could take up to six months to build temporary housing for the 60,000 who are now homeless in the wake of the storm.

Many of them are currently taking temporary shelter in school buildings.

The chairman of the Philippine Red Cross, Richard Gordon, told the BBC that providing long-term housing was a challenge.

"Right now, what they (flood victims) are in need of is transitional housing," he said, adding that they would have to move out of school buildings and into tent cities by 3 January when classes start.

"The problem is land. We need to have safe land, land that will not be threatened by any earthquake or any floods or any landslides," said Mr Gordon.

Aid agencies have appealed for funds to help those who are affected. The United Nations is seeking $28.6m (£18.2m) from donors to help provide water and sanitation to storm victims.

Related Stories

Philippines missing 'over 1,000' 23 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

Human cost of Philippines floods 23 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

A Philippine Christmas to forget 19 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

In pictures: Philippine flood devastation 18 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

From other news sites

China Post: Philippine civil defense adjusts flood casualties to 1,249 -1 hr ago

AFP via Yahoo! : Philippine flood toll rises to 1,249 - 10 hrs ago

Mail & Guardian Online: Bodies pile up as Philippine rescue efforts stagnate
12 hrs ago

SABC : Christmas with a difference for Philippine flood victims - 58 hrs ago

NEWS.com.au : Philippines flood toll feared doubled
23 Dec 2011