Welcome to Coldplaying!

The sun and the moon...Solar eclipse...1919...Coldplay? Discuss Coldplay's upcoming album and all the theories on Coldplaying! سلام و حب

SignUp Now!

Pete's Oxfam Blog - the Winter UK tour leg

marianatsl

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Pete kindly gave his setlist to me!!! :nice:
and probably think me and Mimi are maniacs... her for being in Florida and Liverpool last night and me, the wacky Brazilian girl that went to Sheffield, B'ham and Liverpool!! :laugh4:

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Glasgow SECC - Take Two.

I’m sitting in the same little room as I was a few days ago, writing another blog, about another Coldplay show. We have had some adventures on this tour, playing 3 different countries in 3 days.. it’s not quite the same adventure when you return to the same city, but it was another great show in Glasgow. Oxfam’s brilliant bunch of volunteers, between them, got 1526 Health and Education For All pledges, to add to the thousands of others on the Coldplay tour.

Another noisy crowd greeted the band tonight. Needing little encouragement to sing every word and clap to the beats (even if they weren’t always in time with the band). Chris Martin had to tell everyone to stop clapping at the start of ‘The Hardest Part’ (which he dedicated to his haircut), as he couldn’t figure out the timing. He got it in the end, and the clapping continued anyway.

1 in 5 people at the show tonight, made the pledge. They took a few moments to chat to one of our campaigners and put their name down. To support more children having the chance to go to school. To take action to put pressure on governments to provide affordable healthcare for all.

After they were finished doing that, they went to watch the Coldplay show. Stamped their feet, clapped their hands, chanted chords and sung words. It’s a great crowd here, and I won’t forget it in a hurry. I’m sure the band won’t either. We head South tonight. Back to England. Next stop Manchester. Two nights. Two shows. 40 Oxfam volunteers ready and waiting. Plus, another 28′000 or so Coldplay fans..

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=128

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
And all the security guards in the MEN Arena were a bit Yellow.

Half of them was anyway. The security here really stand out, in their bright yellow blazers. It was an odd sight when they all took their positions just before the doors. All these organised yellow dots, covering the arena entrances. The biggest line of yellow, being by the stage barriers. The dots of yellow were far less organised a few hours later. As balloons were thrown in to the crowd by the roadies at the mix desk, by the stage and up in the rafters. Yellow bopped and popped all around the place. Most of them, seemed to gravitate towards the stage. By the end of the song, Chris Martin was beating them away with his guitar, surrounded by inflatables.

It all looks like chaos when that happens. But it’s very well organised really. The balloon-inflating session has become a regular fixture of the schedule for a few of the roadies in the afternoon. I came down to get some t-shirts from the Oxfam case earlier, only to find it covered in yellow balloons!

Not discouraged though, I battled through the balloons, got my volunteers t-shirts, dished them out, and they went out there talking to the fans. Another incredible night for Oxfam and the petition here. 1970 more people made the pledge for Health and Education For All. Those governments will have to take note of the number of people signing up just on this tour, let alone, around the world.

The band are in full flow at the moment. ‘Lost!’ is beating through the Manchester Evening News arena. It’s a massive place. 14′000 people here tonight. That means 1 in 7 of that huge number, signed Oxfam’s petition. That’s awesome. The last time I was here, I came to see the Foo Fighters on my 18th birthday. That was a brilliant day. Today has been too. I like this place.

I wonder if Peter Kay will be at one of the shows. He used to work in one of those yellow blazers and returned for his own stand-up show here. I talked to one of the blazer people here earlier, who said she was here when he started. He’s a very funny man.

The band just finished ‘Green Eyes’ up amongst the crowd, so I should get on with it and get back upstairs. I just want to add one more thing. I hear that Manchester is the home of Coldplaying.com. I also saw the names of Ian and Jenny Betley on our petition earlier. Thank you Coldplaying people! :dance:

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=129

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
Yay for the Coldplaying/Ian/Jen shout out :nice:

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
I confessed to Pete that I had signed it by Ian twice :embarassed:

I do have two email and postal addresses though :D

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Homecoming..

We made it. And it was great! The band finally made it back to the start.. (well close enough, just a few tube stops away from Brixton). It was the first of three sold-out shows at the O2 Arena in London. This morning, I stepped off the Jubilee Line, at Greenwich North Station, looked up, and saw huge cranes sticking out of a big, white, dome-shaped tent. It was the sight of the Millenium dome. I had only ever seen it on TV, or from a distance on my way around London.. but today, the big show was inside this thing. The first thing Oxfam’s rep did, was get completely lost by going in the ’staff entrance’, going up some stairs and finding myself in a restaurant warehouse, going through a door, past some bemused bar staff polishing glasses, down some steps, and finding myself by the main entrance.. Lot’s easier. I set up the Oxfam tables and got ready to meet the volunteers. Another great group tonight. Full of energy. Keen to get started.. Another massive crowd tonight. Waiting to applaud the band’s homecoming.

It’s been a long way around to get to where we are. Show # 73 was on the day sheet. Crikey. Oxfam has had an amazing time on the tour so far. Almost 70′000 people have taken action with us, or signed up. Incredible stuff.

You could see it on their faces up there on stage. Coldplay were happy to be home. Happy to play those songs, and say to a London crowd. “Hi, we’re called Coldplay, and we’re from London, England”. They were also joined on stage by Simon Pegg. Star of ’Spaced’. Hollywood star.. 5th band member of Coldplay (for one night only), and extraordinarily talented harmonica player. It was a great moment to see him up there, revoluntionary jacket an’ all.. on the C Stage.

The blog-off is on. Roadie #42 just pulled up a chair in Production, to ‘drop a quick blog’. It’s that post-non-load-out-show, quiet part of the day. Quiet descends as thousands of people leave and amps are turned off, leaving the background noise of tapping keyboards, the odd bleeping radio and humming radiators. The video director just walked in and told Roadie #42 that he had met some huge fans of his blog today.. I think I just lost the blog-off..

*At this point of the blog.. my laptop battery died (and I had left the charger in the hotel), so I’ll now pick up where I left off about 15 hours ago.

I’m back in production on the second show-day at the O2. Reflecting on last night, the faces that I saw wandering through the backstage halls, and most importantly, Oxfam’s awesome volunteers. More than 1000 more Coldplay fans pledged their support for Health and Education For All. Just a couple of hours until there will be 20 more volunteers waiting to sign-up the masses, and watch the show.

Just looking back over my shoulder at the Manchester shows. It was two great nights there. I thought I should also mention that the band once again took on the ‘mighty’ crew in football.. It was a similar outcome to what’s gone before, but a well contested game, all the same. I think the crew could hold their heads high afterwards. I met Jonny’s Dad yesterday and told him his son is a very talented footballer.. Better get ready for tonight’s show. There are a lot of people descending on Greenwich tonight. And they are not coming to see where time began..

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=130

Carlaatje

Ms Multi-quote :D
Coldplayer
The blog-off is on. Roadie #42 just pulled up a chair in Production, to ‘drop a quick blog’. It’s that post-non-load-out-show, quiet part of the day. Quiet descends as thousands of people leave and amps are turned off, leaving the background noise of tapping keyboards, the odd bleeping radio and humming radiators. The video director just walked in and told Roadie #42 that he had met some huge fans of his blog today.. I think I just lost the blog-off..

could he be talking about Chavi and Camille ?!?!?!?! :D camille made another sign

Carlaatje

Coldplayer
Lots of people at the O2.
December 15th, 2008 / No Comments » / by plusby

Just counting the pledges at the Oxfam tables by section 110 at London’s O2 Arena. The Oxfam volunteers have handed in their sheets, and gone in to take their seats. ‘Speed of Sound’ is ringing through the doors, each time someone swings it open, to run to the toilet, or grab some fish n’ chips.

The total so far tonight is 1188. All those names, showing their support, can make a real difference to people’s lives. One person can make a big difference. 1188 can make a huge difference. Imagine what 6 million could do.. Oxfam is asking 6 million people to make the Health and Education For All pledge, to represent the 6 million more well trained and accessible doctors, nurses and teachers that are needed. If Oxfam can put that sort of pressure on world leaders, they can’t ignore it.. especially if over 40′000 of them are noisy Coldplay fans!

I just popped my head through the door, to watch the noisyness, as the huge yellow balloons were released into the audience during ‘Yellow’. They are all now happily bobbing around off heads and raised arms.

Just came back and set up for tomorrow, and Coldplay are not even on for the encore yet. Now there’s efficiency and planning.. The masses are streaming out now, to cram waiting tube trains, buses and Thames clippers full of happy punters. It’s amazing how popular this band are. I always forget how many people are in these arenas, until they all leave at once, after Coldplay have left the stage. Thank you to the 1188 of them, who took the time to talk to an Oxfam campaigner and get involved with the campaign. Maybe some of those 1188 will be back as campaigners themselves someday, getting in free to the show, on the invitation of the band. Thanks also to our 17 great volunteers from today!

I’m off to bed as soon as I get to the hotel. It’s been another long day. I just realised that almost everyone has left the building.. or is relaxing in the bar. I’ll see you tomorrow. Pete

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer

could he be talking about Chavi and Camille ?!?!?!?! :D camille made another sign
:wideeyed: :wideeyed: :dance: :dance:

no mention of me ?! Boo Pete !!

:p

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
why do people always have to come and interrupt our conversations........ not cool :angry:

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
An Old Trafford-full of Oxfam and Coldplay supporters.

The Coldplay tour, along with it’s Oxfam rep, has now travelled to Belfast City, and I have not even talked about the last show in London yet.. so, just to recap, here’s a note from London.. 1200 people made the Health and Education For All pledge tonight. That’s almost 4000 for the London shows, great stuff. The UK tour has seen an incredible number of people giving their support on this Oxfam campaign. It also saw Simon Pegg, join Coldplay on-stage for some memorable harmonica moments..

The third London show was the final concert in England & Scotland for 2008. Oxfam GB was there, with a group of volunteers at every show. A massive 18′350 Coldplay fans made the Health and Education For All pledge over the 12 shows! That’s the equivalent of a capacity crowd at the Birmingham NIA, plus the Liverpool Echo Arena, and all of their staff and security, standing up at once, and pledging their support. A truly incredible level of support, to add to the global movement of people speaking up about Health and Education For All.
A massive thank you to every Oxfam volunteer, who helped Oxfam to get an average of 1544 pledges per night! That’s more than 1 in 7 of all the people who went to see Coldplay on their UK tour.. and I know for a fact, there were a few who wen’t twice (you know who you are). It’s an awesome response. Coldplay have invited Oxfam on their tour, so that our volunteers can talk to their fans about current campaigns and Oxfam’s amazing work around the world. Each day, Oxfam’s coordinator arrives at the venue, with the rest of the 50 strong crew and set’s up for the show. That’s usually just a couple of tables, banners, t-shirts, petition sheets, leaflets and a few badges. From this small presence, Oxfam has seen a huge whirlwind of support. Thousands of people taking small actions together. That adds up to a lot of pressure on world leaders.
Oxfam has been at 72 of the 76 Coldplay shows, so far this year. Overall, a huge 73′186 Coldplay fans have stopped and signed up. Either signing to directly support Oxfam campaign work on Health and Education For All, Fair Trade, Agricultural policy in Germany, or to join an online active community of supporters spreading across USA. That number of people could almost fill Manchester United’s famous Old Trafford football stadium.. which is a lot of people.
It’s been an incredible journey that’s brought us here to Belfast, for tonight’s show, at the Odyssey Arena. Another 8000 Coldplay fans, will get their chance to see possibly this years most successful band. They will be joined by 20 volunteers from Oxfam Ireland. Before a chord has been struck by Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman, or a mic lifted by Chris Martin, or a drumstick picked up in anger by Will Champion.. Oxfam will have been working tirelessly to give people the chance to get involved in helping to overcome poverty. 4 more shows to go. 33′000 more fans. Let’s see if we can hit 80′000 sign-ups overall!

------

:D :D :D :D :D :D

edit : oops three posts in a row .. :p

Carlaatje

Coldplayer
post whore :p

he has mentioned you twice... maybe 3 times now... you stalker :p

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I aint a stalker ! we just happened to be at the same concerts on the same days :D

Carlaatje

Coldplayer
just like we just happened to walk by when pete was walking in that hall way in antwerp :rolleyes: