Mixtape Exchange XIV CLOSED! XVI coming soon!!! Very soon!

Mrk

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
Coldplayer
Still waiting for review and feedback

The Final Track

Prognissekongen!
Coldplayer
Hey, my computer crashed before easter so I have to take it tp It when school starts tomorrow. sorry for the long wait, response to mixtape review and mixtape coming soon :nice: been without computer and wifi for a while

Wyrd

Brent come back
Coldplayer
dreamorlife, don’t worry, I always thought the singer of Beach House was male too. :D It was so weird to find out like after a year that it was a female :scared:

Violet, what an amazing idea for a mixtape!!!

Alien Radio

Fran
Coldplayer
Hi, Ross. I'm Violet, and I'm your mixtape maker!

I have to say, coming up with your tape was a bit of a challenge for me. I discovered very quickly that our tastes are extremely similar. We listen to a lot of the same things, and it took me a while to come to a decision as to what to do.

My tape is actually a celebration of the CPing mixtape exchange. Every track on this tape is a track I've received on a tape on this forum, and these artists are some of the main ones that have stuck. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now, and with your tastes and the fact that this was my 10th exchange, this felt like the perfect time to finally go through with it.

Now, for the track listing. My comments will be in blue.

I'm really glad you seemed to like it overall. I'm especially thrilled that you thought the flow was nice. As I mentioned, these are bits and pieces of several mixtapes, and I wasn't sure how that was going to work out. I hope you're able to get as much out of these artists as I have. Thanks so much for the positive review! :hug:

Just to recap for everyone else, here's the track listing.

1. "Weekend"-Smith Westerns (Dye It Blonde, 2011)
2. "The Colors"-Heather Woods Broderick (From the Ground, 2009)
3. "The Chronicles of Sarnia"-Final Fantasy (Has a Good Home, 2005)
4. "Save Your Day"-José González (Veneer, 2003)
5. "Her Morning Elegance"-Oren Lavie (The Opposite Side of the Sea, 2007)
6. "Sweet"-Jehro (Jehro, 2006)
7. "Old Pine"-Ben Howard (Every Kingdom, 2011)
8. "That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy"-The Twilight Sad (Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters, 2007)
9. "Gather to the Chapel"-Liam Finn (I'll Be Lightning, 2007)
10. "Adultery"-Little Comets (In Search of Elusive Little Comets, 2011)
11. "Rising"-Son Lux (We Are Rising, 2011)
12. "Your Hand in Mine"-Explosions in the Sky (The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, 2003)
13. "The Fog"-Ham Sandwich (White Fox, 2010)
14. "Lions in Cages"-Wolf Gang (Suego Faults, 2011)
15. "Section 9 (Night & Day/Reach for the Sun)"-The Polyphonic Spree (The Beginning Stages of The Polyphonic Spree, 2002)

Like everyone else, Mediafire copyrighted my stuff, so I'll have to reupload it. I'll share the new link once I do that.
Awww Son Lux :awesome:

Black Rose

Freedom!
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
still no review :(

Rapidshare is no good anymore, you can upload but can't download

DiOli05

Mrs. Berryman
Coldplayer
NOTHING YET?!?!

THIS IS AWFUL.

PEOPLE THAT ARE LATE: YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED! (there, i said it.)

dreamorlife

mister dramatic username
Coldplayer
People that are late:

If you are late, but had terribly pressing things do with school, family etc. and are late because of that, we understand (that happens to anyone). Please just message DiOli05 with a short notice that you are late so we know. Then we just need patience, but thats OK. :)

If you have somehow forgotten about this exchange for whatever reason, well.... Please just also contact DiOli05 and say that you're late and sorry, but will now write a review. :D

It takes you only a short time for that message, but at least we could know that there will be a review at all in the near time. I bet you could make some here (me included) very happy if you at least said you are writing a review.
And we know if you visit coldplaying but ignore the messages, so no excuses! :D

The Final Track

Prognissekongen!
Coldplayer
My computer has to be started at school for some reason, then I have an important piano exam on wednesday so I probably won't have time to get anything done by then+ I have to get all my files back on. I'm usually on time with these things, but there's really nothing I can do since I can't access the tape. Sorry again.

DiOli05

Mrs. Berryman
Coldplayer
People that are late:

If you are late, but had terribly pressing things do with school, family etc. and are late because of that, we understand (that happens to anyone). Please just message DiOli05 with a short notice that you are late so we know. Then we just need patience, but thats OK. :)

If you have somehow forgotten about this exchange for whatever reason, well.... Please just also contact DiOli05 and say that you're late and sorry, but will now write a review. :D

It takes you only a short time for that message, but at least we could know that there will be a review at all in the near time. I bet you could make some here (me included) very happy if you at least said you are writing a review.
And we know if you visit coldplaying but ignore the messages, so no excuses! :D
sigh. I think we just have to wait and see... I will have to use soundhound to figure out my tracklist then... and i get no review of review. -.-'... So i know how it feels, guys. I will keep sending messages and let you know of any news, though :)

The Final Track

Prognissekongen!
Coldplayer
My review!
I loved my mixtape. It has 15 songs in it, and it was titled “Plans”. It starts off with this relaxing music, and then it has some songs that made me dance. I listened to this tape at least once every single day this week, it is great. I do not think I know any of the artists, but I am very interested in most of them!
Hi, I'm William and I made your tape :nice: I'm glad that you liked it so much and listened to so many times!

Ok, now song by song! (Will try to keep it short!)
Better too much than too little :tongue:

1- Drumming! And then this catchy beat that goes on during the song. I like her voice!!! After the second listen, I was singing to it every time I heard it. I loved it. No clue of who it is, but I am dying to know! (I managed to resist the urge to look for the lyrics). It is a kind of slow song, and the drum beat makes it sort of sentimental, in my opinion. I still could not get the last part of the chorus. The drumming goes faster, and then the song ends.
This is one of those songs that I never get tired of, I just love the flowing synths and atmosphere. Maybe more dreamy than sentimental? Anchor by Tu Fawning. They released their debut album A Monument last year, which is kind of cosmic americana. Really cool, you should check it out. I don't know if the drumming goes faster, it's just left alone. Anyway, the mixtape takes its name from the chorus, "to complete my plans".

2- Some of the songs in this mixtape reminded me of Pulp Fiction… this one included. Slow song, and a man singing. I really like the beat, and I loved the chorus of the song. I paid close attention to the lyrics, and it made me like the song even more. It has this guitar on the back, and I believe it is what reminds me of that movie. Loved it as well (you would hear that a lot, partner)
Maybe a little, I understand what you're getting it, it has a very distinct vibe. The opening track from Local Natives new album Hummingbird, also worth checking out. I saw you liked Vampire Weekend and thought you might like these guys. they're from LA which is where Pulp Fiction is set.

3- This song is a bit more fast at the start. Guitars and drums. This song has the old song feeling to it. You cannot clearly tell what the lyrics are (at least I cannot in some parts), but it is a female singing. The beat goes on during the song, and it has like bells that chime in the interludes. I like this one, but it seemed too repetitive in some points.
This is from the early nineties by shoegaze band Dreamscape who were active about 3 years. I've listened to this track countless times, the synth line and driving chorus is just so haunting. The lyrics aren't really the most important part of the song to me, it's more the presence of the vocals.

4- Female singing, with a piano. I loved this one. I enjoyed this one. I would not usually listened to this kind of music, but I really liked it! She has a great voice, and the high notes are amazing. At a point, the piano becomes more intense, and she has other voices joining her. Love it. You think it is over, but she comes back, and then the song actually ends.
When by Susanne Sundfør, a Norwegian musician. I've seen her perform twice at very different venues and both times have been among the best gigs I've been to. Her music is pure gold to me. This is from her newest, more electronic album The Silicone Veil.

5- Pulp Fiction again. It had that guitar riff that you hear at some point in the movie. This voice sounds familiar, but I have no clue. I would say Grizzly Bear because it has that kind of vibe, but not sure. I loooooved this one so much. It has lovely chorus, a great beat, and I liked the random guitar sounds at the end, along with the drumming.
Yes, you're right, it's Grizzly Bear. Yet Again from Shields, a strong track which really stands out.

6- LOVED THIS ONE. Same thing, after two listens, I was singing along to it. Starts with this guy singing, and then this amazing beat starts, and everything goes up from there. I really enjoy the changes in beats in songs, and this one has it. Also a catchy chorus. I have no clue of who they are, and definitively want to know. Amazing.
Glad you liked it. December's Traditions by scottish band Frightened Rabbit. I heard them on the radio 3 years ago and I went straight out and bought their then newest album. I love their style, both musically and lyrically.

7- Slow drumming. And then some random guitar notes… is that a violin? I think so. Everything starts coming together, and it is another one of the relaxing kind of songs. Is that a bagpipe? Sounds like one. Now back to drums and guitar… with some violin in the back… off and then violin is back again… and it goes on like that. I really enjoyed this instrumental. Again, not normally something I would get on my own.
I don't like describing music as random, because it rarely is. Yup, a violin but probably not a bagpipe :thinking: The violinist is one of Nick Cave's collaborators, Warren Ellis who an extremely talented violinist and musician. This is his trio, Dirty Three from Australia, who play instrumental music. Moon on the Land from Towards the Low Sun.

8- I think this was probably my favorite song out of all. Pulp Fiction again. Loved the guitar, and her voice! I am dying to know who they are!!! Amazing drumming as well. It is the kind of rock I have been into lately, so I enjoyed dancing to it every single time I listened it. Such a catchy chorus and amazing guitar solo!!! Loved the ending!
Wasn't expecting you to like this as much, hehe. Screaming Females - Expire. I saw them at a festival last summer and they were awesome. The singer and guitarist's stage presence is so energetic, I absolutely love it.

9- It switches between a soft steady beat, and a fast and strong beat at the chorus. I really liked this one! I think it fits my current state of affairs in some way! It has a good solo.
More aussie stuff, Into the Sky by Howling Bells who I saw support Elbow a year ago. The album this is off is one of my favorites.

10- Back to slow song. His voice sounds familiar. Piano in the back <3… and guitars. There is not much to say. Song goes kind of in the same way throughout, and it is lovely.
Racing Like a Pro by The National. There is something very heavy and brooding about The National, and especially in this track. When the brass comes in it's just perfect. One of my favorite bands :heart:

11- Strong drumming at the beginning, accompanied by some guitar. It is hard to tell what he sings at the beginning… It sort of stops, and starts back with a bit faster beat; his voice is now stronger, making it completely different to how it started. It has that sentimental feel to it… no clue though, I could not tell much of the lyrics lol.
A truly powerful song, progressing slowly before releasing completely and giving it all. (not a faster beat though?) Suits his voice perfectly. Elbow - the Lonelieness of a Tower Crane Driver.

12- This one has the old-song feeling to it. No clue of who this is. I cannot really describe it… lol. It is like a regular soft rock song. Same drum beat throughout, not that much guitar in it, though. Both drums and guitar change when it is about to end. You can actually hear the distinctive guitar in the solo.
My Morning Jacket - Masterplan. Not old (from 2005 I think), but the recording is a little rough. great song.

13- THIS ONE HAS BEEN HAUNTING ME SINCE THE FIRST LISTEN. I know this song. I am sure I know this song! But I have no clue of what the name of it is. Or who plays this one. Anyways, I LOVE LOVE LOVE PIANO! Second favorite song from the mixtape. I enjoyed it so so so much, thank you for putting that in there.
I don't think you do. Jan Johansson was a Swedish jazz pianist who recorded an album with reinterpretations of old Swedish folk songs. It's one of my absolute favorite albums, I've listened to it tons of times. This is a track off there named "Visa Från Rättvik" (Song/tune from Rättvik). You should listen to Visa Från Utanmyra, the most well-known one :)

14- This one has the country feeling to it lol. I am not a fan of country, but I like this kind of songs. Kind of like Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros music lol. I really enjoyed it, and was not expecting it after the piano song! I love the second part of this song!! Made me dance so many times.
Dan Mangan - Sold. This guy's great.

15- Uhh!!! The Shins! Lol! I recognized this song instantly. I only listened to it a couple of times before, so I am really glad you put it here!!! It is a great ending to an awesome mixtape! It is weird how his voice sounds like a girl’s at some points… lol
Right you are, the title track from Port of Morrow.

So, overall, I loved this tape. I have very diverse taste in music, so the chances of something there that I would not have liked are very slim (Except Pop. I fucking hate Pop music. Death to Pop.).
Thank you, I'm thrilled that you liked it so much :nice: if there's anything you want to know or if you want any recommendations just let me know.
What's wrong with pop? :thinking: not all pop is bad, The Shins for instance.

Thank you for taking the time to make such an amazing mixtape!
You're very welcome! :) Here's the tracklist.

Plans

1. Tu Fawning - Anchor (A Monument, 2012)
2. Local Natives - You and I (Hummingbird, 2013)
3. Dreamscape - Greater Than God (La-di-da Recordings, 1992)
4. Susanne Sundfør - When (The Silicone Veil, 2012)
5. Grizzly Bear - Yet Again (Shields, 2012)
6. Frightened Rabbit - December's Traditions (Pedestrian Verse, 2013)
7. Dirty Three - Moon on the Land (Towards the Low Sun, 2012)
8. Screaming Females - Expire (Ugly, 2012)
9. Howling Bells - Into the Sky (The Loudest Engine, 2011)
10. The National - Racing Like A Pro (Boxer, 2007)
11. Elbow - The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver (The Seldom Seen Kid, 2008)
12. My Morning Jacket - Masterplan (It Still Moves, 2003)
13. Jan Johansson - Visa Från Rättvik (Jazz på Svenska, 1963)
14. Dan Mangan - Sold (Nice, Nice, Very Nice, 2009)
15. The Shins - Port of Morrow (Port of Morrow, 2012)

dreamorlife

mister dramatic username
Coldplayer
I'm starting to doubt that there will be any review in the future (concerning me), would be a nice surprise but I don't really believe that.

At least I got one from Deirdre, then I'll just go back and read that again (because it's nice :) ).

Feels like being the last customer in a bar in the morning, nearly everybody is gone but you are still there and wait for someone...

Maybe as a last resort we should try to contact them via other media (if they have like a Facebook profile or something and are more active there but somehow ignore the PM's which some seem to do) while others like The Final Track are a role model of how to handle things :)

Sorry for my late night rants :D

Wyrd

Brent come back
Coldplayer
^ aw no, I think I understand you. My tape got reviewed :)awesome:) and still I feel wronged because my original partner did not let me know why she just gave up on the whole thing. I just wished she hadn't signed up because I spend so much energy on making the tape for her; I mixed/edited the songs myself and made a cover and tried to make a tape that would suit her and then I get nothing in return. Not even a post here, saying that due to circumstances she backs down. Urgh.

But your situation is even worse. You did not get a review of your tape :(
If it will be of any help, I like to volunteer to review the tape and others might do as well. Or is that what you talked about when you said you have a review from Deirdre? Usually after a while, when people haven't gotten a review and we haven't heard of the reviewer for a while, the mixtapes are given to others who sure will review and within a decent time.

I also agree with you that Final Track (William?) and some others showed the right way of dealing with unexpected delay. It's really assuring to know that at least the review will come. Also I never had any doubt he would come up with a review, The Final Track has always been a good participator. Oh, and good tape there! Susanne Sundfør :dazzled:

Violet

Is It Really So Strange?
Coldplayer
Plans

1. Tu Fawning - Anchor (A Monument, 2012)
2. Local Natives - You and I (Hummingbird, 2013)
3. Dreamscape - Greater Than God (La-di-da Recordings, 1992)
4. Susanne Sundfør - When (The Silicone Veil, 2012)
5. Grizzly Bear - Yet Again (Shields, 2012)
6. Frightened Rabbit - December's Traditions (Pedestrian Verse, 2013)
7. Dirty Three - Moon on the Land (Towards the Low Sun, 2012)
8. Screaming Females - Expire (Ugly, 2012)
9. Howling Bells - Into the Sky (The Loudest Engine, 2011)
10. The National - Racing Like A Pro (Boxer, 2007)
11. Elbow - The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver (The Seldom Seen Kid, 2008)
12. My Morning Jacket - Masterplan (It Still Moves, 2003)
13. Jan Johansson - Visa Från Rättvik (Jazz på Svenska, 1963)
14. Dan Mangan - Sold (Nice, Nice, Very Nice, 2009)
15. The Shins - Port of Morrow (Port of Morrow, 2012)
OOOOOH. This looks solid. :wacko:

But your situation is even worse. You did not get a review of your tape :(
If it will be of any help, I like to volunteer to review the tape and others might do as well. Or is that what you talked about when you said you have a review from Deirdre? Usually after a while, when people haven't gotten a review and we haven't heard of the reviewer for a while, the mixtapes are given to others who sure will review and within a decent time.
Oh yeah, plenty of us are willing to review tapes when there are some loose ones about. I've done it plenty of times, as it's something I enjoy doing. I'd love to extend my offer to listen to anyone who doesn't have a review yet.

dreamorlife

mister dramatic username
Coldplayer
Such a kind community of music nerds here, caring for each other. Thanks :)

The funny thing is that I made an original tape which didn't get reviewed yet, but then I made one for Deirdre because she didn't get one from her original partner (and even did a second review for Cyan Kat because he didn't get a review either, so for a second mixtape exchange this is already pretty bizarre :D).

I'm unsure about timing. Give my partner a last chance, or give it to someone of you to listen?

Violet

Is It Really So Strange?
Coldplayer
It's been about a month now. If you haven't gotten a review by now, the chances of you getting one are about slim to none. I'd suggest you let one of us listen to it. I'll let Kim (Wyrd) have first dibs on it, since she volunteered before I did. However, if she changes her mind, I'd be glad to do it. :nice: