Matt Bellamy and Chris Martin, an 'abusive' friendship?

watsername182

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm currently reading Muse's biography Out Of This World: The Story Of Muse and Coldplay have been mentioned quite a few times. :nice:

Here's a bit about Matt and Chris' 'abusive' friendship. :lol:

When the message came through, Matt probably thought it was anther joke from Chris Martin.

As the figureheads of two bands suffering the press brickbats of being cast as 'post-Radiohead', Bellamy and Martin had struck a close friendship: Martin would come around to the London flat that Matt, Dom and Tom Kirk were now sharing (they'd collected sufficient people to party with in London that they didn't need to go to Devon to party anymore) to play them demos for songs from Coldplay's forthcoming second album, A Rush Of Blood To The Head, looking for a reaction. Matt always thought that he'd never be able to do that, since if anyone had been critical of his demos he'd have wanted to kill them, but then Matt had learnt a lot from Chris about being charming and, in an ironic comment on each other's good nature, the pair spent the summer embroiled in a joke text-message slanging match. Matt would text Chris calling Coldplay "that 'Yellow' band"; Chris would direct his reply to "Mr Pomp Rock Short-Arse". The 'abusive' banter rolled on endlessly; they were the epic-rock Derek & Clive.
Chris love's Muse. :heart:

Coldplay had played earlier in the day and were still in awe of Muse, they were like, 'Muse are the best band in the world'. Coldplay had just given each of their crew a 20-grand bonus. They basically gave them the fee for working V. They were like, 'Thanks for working with us, here's 20 grand.' That's why people do V - for the money. So Coldplay come off and we're hanging out and Chris Martin at that point is a real bona fide pop star - he had big hits with 'Yellow' and 'Trouble' - and he wanted to come and watch the set, so I said, 'Yeah of course, jump in the van.' So we jump in the van, drive round to behind the stage, and everyone's in fucking hysterics cos Chris is a really funny guy, and he's got the band cracking up laughing, and I told the crew that Chris Martin's going to introduce the band. And Chris walks out and the place goes absolutely spine-tingly mad. He's got his hood up, I remember his words. He said, 'Hello, I'm Chris from the band Coldplay, this is the greatest live band in the world, will you please welcome Muse.'

dry_pretzels

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
:lol: Those two are so amusing. That's pretty cool to know that they seem to be good buddies. Thank you for posting!

watsername182

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
^^ No worries. :)

I get a bit too excited every time Coldplay is mentioned in this book. :lol:

watsername182

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
This is one of their crew talking about V 2001:

Coldplay had played earlier in the day and were still in awe of Muse, they were like, 'Muse are the best band in the world'. Coldplay had just given each of their crew a 20-grand bonus. They basically gave them the fee for working V. They were like, 'Thanks for working with us, here's 20 grand.' That's why people do V - for the money. So Coldplay come off and we're hanging out and Chris Martin at that point is a real bona fide pop star - he had big hits with 'Yellow' and 'Trouble' - and he wanted to come and watch the set, so I said, 'Yeah of course, jump in the van.' So we jump in the van, drive round to behind the stage, and everyone's in fucking hysterics cos Chris is a really funny guy, and he's got the band cracking up laughing, and I told the crew that Chris Martin's going to introduce the band. And Chris walks out and the place goes absolutely spine-tingly mad. He's got his hood up, I remember his words. He said, 'Hello, I'm Chris from the band Coldplay, this is the greatest live band in the world, will you please welcome Muse.'
:pleased:

ARushOfLove

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
July 27, 2009 - submitted by David, United States of America

Q. Hey Oracle.
There's been much speculation with the relationship between Matthew Bellamy of Muse and Chris of Coldplay. Can you elaborate, as most info on the web seems to be unreliable.
Thanks.

The Oracle replies:

I hadn't realised there was any speculation about that at all. Anyway, both bands started out around the same time and toured together in the early days with Coldplay supporting Muse in 2000. Chris & Matt have a mutual like & respect for each other - and bands. They talk when they see each other but they're not close friends.

:anxious:

Corkus

Pretentious Tool
Coldplayer
Pun intended? :rolleyes:
You could be my pun intended,
Choice to live my life extended...

I just killed the thread, didn't I? :dozey:

Chris and Matt are both entertaining guys, and it wouldn't surprise me if this "abusive" chatter still continues from time to time.

politikgirl

black holes + revelations
Coldplayer
I'm currently reading Muse's biography Out Of This World: The Story Of Muse and Coldplay have been mentioned quite a few times. :nice:
Thanks so much for sharing that! Two of my four favourite bands. :D I love hearing about bands who get along. I'm so tired of hearing about this band hating that band and what nasty thing one band said about another band.

karenc

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Thanks so much for sharing that! Two of my four favourite bands. :D I love hearing about bands who get along. I'm so tired of hearing about this band hating that band and what nasty thing one band said about another band.
Totally agree, it gets boring and the world of music is a big place, there's space for everyone :shrug: