LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...

• 1st half of 2020

• 2nd half of 2020

• 1st half of 2021

• 2nd half of 2021

• Later...

Results are only viewable after voting.

gai

I went to one of the palladium shows. I've loved this album more than any album released since I became a huge fan (2011). Still, what caught me off guard was how much I enjoyed the EL songs live than even the oldies like Sparks and LIJ. I love those songs, but the EL songs really came alive. Orphans wasn't one of my favorites in the album, but holy cow is it good live! Arabesque was the most transcendent experience I've had at a Coldplay gig.

I just wish Coldplay had released this album when they were relevant in the mainstream media. Imagine the impact it could have had!

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I went to one of the palladium shows. I've loved this album more than any album released since I became a huge fan (2011). Still, what caught me off guard was how much I enjoyed the EL songs live than even the oldies like Sparks and LIJ. I love those songs, but the EL songs really came alive. Orphans wasn't one of my favorites in the album, but holy cow is it good live! Arabesque was the most transcendent experience I've had at a Coldplay gig.

I just wish Coldplay had released this album when they were relevant in the mainstream media. Imagine the impact it could have had!
Aren't they still relevant (if not a little less so)?

gai

Aren't they still relevant (if not a little less so)?
They don't have the same traction with mainstream media they used to have. For example, look at the Jordan stream coverage, or the coverage focusing on the lyrical subject matter, or basically anything they have done this era. Other than the controversial no touring comments, other things were hardly written about and talked about. It happens as a band ages and the lack of promo didn't really help bridge the gap. In terms of the album being #1 it was in a few countries, but not in as many as it used to be. Like it was #7 in the US. People hardly knew that a new album was out. There was a time when everything Coldplay did mattered. Like how everything Billie Eilish does matters today. But that day is gone as it happens. I'm not hating on the band. Just to clarify. This happens to pretty much every big artist.

The band has accepted this based on the comments. For me, it is a great time for the band to do their thing, however they want, instead of trying to appease as many people as they can. Which they did do before. So letting go of being the biggest band ambition is great. But my point was, this album could have reached a bigger audience and had more artistic impact if they were more relevant in mainstream media.

lennyrott1

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Yeah not sure if I can really define relevance, but speaking as an American, I can say that commercially, musically and pop culture-wise, they are definitely the least relevant they've ever been.

EL was hardly marketed like other CP albums, and the style of music presented is wildly different from the Top 40 sounds we're hearing nowadays. And finally, I think most people still "like" Coldplay but at this point I don't see them being a huge pop-culture influence in the 2020's. Every band has to reach a point where they become more "legacy" act and are less relevant to younger people.

That's not to say they're not still important to a ton of people and that their albums can't win awards, or sell out shows. U2, Radiohead, Muse, and others still get tons of media and press recognition and alternative radio play when they drop stuff. But we're never gonna relive OK Computer or Joshua Tree, if that makes sense. Nor will we X&Y. Even if they drop some radio singles for LP9, we still have to contend with the fact that band music is not what people are looking for anymore.

LisaFeehily

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I see what you mean about them not being as mainstream with this album and therefore not reaching as many people.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because of it, it doesn't change the way I think about their music. And whether or not other people enjoy it is up to them (I don't enjoy everything that's mainstream currently either).

I also think that change in mainstream music doesn't necessarily have to come from within it, or that it would happen suddenly. What I'm trying to say is it's hard to judge what impact this album might really have in the end. Someone mentioned the sustainable touring comments, this will also not suddenly change the industry but over time could have a bigger impact than any act currently touring.

Even if it doesn't have any wider impact then in terms of the band's legacy it's still very positive so I don't worry about it.

merril

Up&Up
Coldplayer
EL was hardly marketed like other CP Albums

It was heavily promoted by the band and Parlophone in the lead-up to its release,..

we still have to contend with the fact that band music is not what people are looking for anymore...
I wonder why they didn't market it like other albums. In certain ways it can be compared to 'Ghost Stories', also an album which they didn't tour and of which they knew it would soon be followed by another album. But 'Ghost Stories' was heavily promoted in the lead-up to ist release and so immediately became number 1 in about 70 countries.
Were they really not interested in the success of EL?

Btw, I don't think band music is not what people are looking for anymore. I think the success of solo singers at the moment is because there aren't many great bands around (with the exception of Coldplay, of course).

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I wonder why they didn't market it like other albums. In certain ways it can be compared to 'Ghost Stories', also an album which they didn't tour and of which they knew it would soon be followed by another album. But 'Ghost Stories' was heavily promoted in the lead-up to ist release and so immediately became number 1 in about 70 countries.
Were they really not interested in the success of EL?

Btw, I don't think band music is not what people are looking for anymore. I think the success of solo singers at the moment is because there aren't many great bands around (with the exception of Coldplay, of course).
I wonder if people will see them as the last big band in thirty years