Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Everglow Music Video

brobbins

Honneeeeeyyyyyy!!!!
Coldplayer
Thank you! I feel all caught up now.

I agree with the others who hope an alternate video from the ice arena is still coming for the participants sake. But doesn't seem likely since they shot the video around the same time as Glastonbury when the impromptu "Chris solo" took place. It was some time after that the band decided the solo version should be released instead of the original. I'll bet the ice arena video got scrapped then too so they could do a more personal one with just Chris. IMHO, and hopefully I'm wrong .

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
This is amazing. What a complete shift in the style away from the extremely colorful and relatively poppy AHFOD with lots of production and layers to a black and white video featuring an unpoppified version of a song from an album (they release that as the single?!? I would have expected this to be the normal version and the album version to be the single version, because that would be the way it is in most cases... Hats off to Coldplay for not poppifying the song even more) featuring two tracks: the piano and a voice. (yes there's the guitar kinda thing where there was in the album, but still) Heck, most bands don't even go that stripped down, but Coldplay with their latest album release would be one of my last picks to suddenly release a song (or a version of a song) that literally performs magic with two tracks. Not only that, but they take it one step further by making it sound like a live performance (without the crowd obviously). It was probably a live performance. No, his voice isn't absolutely perfect. But that really only adds to the beauty, No Auto Tune, no editing this or that out, all they did was make it sound echo-ey. Beautiful, stripped-down, genuine, and heartfelt rendition of the song. The vocal breathes, crackles, and just flows. It tells a story that mainstream pop vocals, with all of the overproduction and editing of every single tiny little mistake, don't. I wish this song got more popular so today's zombies solely following that style of music and nothing else would know what a real vocal sounds like, with all of the minor variances kept intact. Everything sounds the same now becuase there's none of those mistakes anymore. Yes, this may have taken quite a few tries to record. Sometimes you can't quite get it right the first few tries. But that adds to the genuity of the song. Today's pop songs are probably rush released, favoring technology to fix every tiny little small mistake on the first try rather than taking the time to make a more natural sounding product like Coldplay have done here.

Absolutely wonderful job Coldplay. Well done. I am so pleasently surprised that they went the completely opposite way of what they did for most tracks on the album this time. Hopefully this is the kinda stuff we get to hear from Kaleidoscope EP. Or at least some of it. Other than that, something that hints at a more unique direction for Coldplay moving forward. Keep it up boys.

(Note: I don't hate AHFOD. I actually really like it. Compared to the rest of mainstream pop albums it's memorable and even unique. I'm just saying that I can respect songs like this a lot better because they didn't have to throw in a ton of layers or produce it a lot to make it sound "good".)

Captain Crieff

drinking pink rabbits
Staff member
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
That moment it actually starts snowing when Chris sings "life's as short as the falling of snow"

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Good video, but I like the other one better

TheSavage_

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Holy crap it's wonderful! Not exactly sure why they needed all the people there haha But the iceskating is superb, seems like she was in some sort of rigging

AMDB9

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Holy crap it's wonderful! Not exactly sure why they needed all the people there haha But the iceskating is superb, seems like she was in some sort of rigging
Yeah you could barely see the people, but the skating was amazing!

coldplayisawesome

Maybe I'm a ghost
Coldplayer
That moment it actually starts snowing when Chris sings "life's as short as the falling of snow"

yeah, the editor did a good job with that one, but not with syncing her movement with Jonny's riff which imo would have been awesome if they moved the shot of her moving to the ground just a second earlier
also this shot in particular reminded me of Mass Effect with that framing and the way she moved (the blinking thing) felt a lot like Bioware animation :joy:

the everglow is from her fans :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
is it narcissistic of me to want to think that sometimes Coldplay's love songs are Chris singing to us? :p

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
omg it's so beautiful:sob:

Stephie

My heart is my gun
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Oh wow, it found the light of day! :D Didn't think we would get to see it after all. LOL, the lights could have just been added by CGI as well. Would have saved us some frustrating shivering. ;)

It's really nice, but I'm not sure the idea of her dancing with an invisible partner really comes across. You can only really guess when she gets lifted in the air or in a few other parts of the routine. Maybe that's why they scrapped it.

Nie

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Honestly, I'm not blown away by it.
Can't explain why, maybe the black/white doesn't match with the warmth of Everglow.
The difference with the official version couldn’t be bigger.

And now we know the story of what the fans had to deal with, it's sad that this is the result of their efforts.

AMDB9

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Oh wow, it found the light of day! :D Didn't think we would get to see it after all. LOL, the lights could have just been added by CGI as well. Would have saved us some frustrating shivering. ;)

It's really nice, but I'm not sure the idea of her dancing with an invisible partner really comes across. You can only really guess when she gets lifted in the air or in a few other parts of the routine. Maybe that's why they scrapped it.
I only "guessed" it after you explained it lol

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
Wow that video is underwhelming...

I'm surprised they made it b/w. The stained glasses windows created such a nice light.

jc90

A Herp Full Of Derp
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Wish a hockey game broke out during the video...

AMDB9

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I wish Agent Michael Scarn came out onto the ice during the video [emoji23]

Last edited:

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I generally like the concept idea of the trees appearing, the invisible partner (which I got from the comments here, not the video ! Not very clear there) and the lights, but it did not translate well into the actual video. B/W should at least have gone into color at the "warm" moments or something, like this it was boring to watch, did not hamronize well with thw music and, as has been said, underwhelming.

So sorry for the fans, they were also barely visible...