Can you be friends with someone, who wants more than friendship?

Petit Prince

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is. What are yor personal experiences?

There is someone, who quite clearly asked me on a date. I do like the guy but I don't see him in that way. I'd really like to get to know him better and do things together... as friends.

I find it very hard to tell someone. Like if I'm trying to say it in a polite way, a lot of guys don't seem to get the message.

Jack

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
nah you can do it. if you're quite clear about your intentions, it can work.

i know this from experience ( i was the one liked ) and we were pretty good friends for years.

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
I'd say no, personally.

As hard as you try to keep things friendly they're always going to take little things you do or say to mean more than it actually does.

In my experience, maintaining a friendship only leads them to believe there's still a chance of something more.

ricardo

n00b
Coldplayer
what I meant was that if the other person had found asomeone else to love then you can be friends, but it can be a little uncomfortable being together too much time

Petit Prince

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
nah you can do it. if you're quite clear about your intentions, it can work.
The easiest thing to do would be to say you're with someone else. Don't really wanna do that though because there is someone but I don't want my friends to know about it at the moment. Its way too early plus he knows the other guy.

So I will kind of have to tell him that I'd like to go for a drink at some point but that I'm not interested in a relationship. So hard.:embarassed:

Petit Prince

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'd say no, personally.

As hard as you try to keep things friendly they're always going to take little things you do or say to mean more than it actually does.

In my experience, maintaining a friendship only leads them to believe there's still a chance of something more.
Happened to me before. I think it's partulaly difficult if the other person's drunk.

Still I've always liked the guy and I'd find it quite sad if it was the end of our friendship.

The Escapist

Lindisfarne
Coldplayer
I think this is why I have so little friends that are girls is because they think that I want something more from their friendship.

iPsy

Here Comes The Flashover!
Coldplayer
Well, it's worked for me!, This girl asked me out about a year ago, she's nice, but I just didn't see her in that way ;), Well, I am still friends with her, actually quite good friends and I still know that she fancies me, people have told me, but I don't mind, I think she is quite happy with the things the way they are for the moment ;)

Jack

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
The easiest thing to do would be to say you're with someone else. Don't really wanna do that though because there is someone but I don't want my friends to know about it at the moment. Its way too early plus he knows the other guy.

So I will kind of have to tell him that I'd like to go for a drink at some point but that I'm not interested in a relationship. So hard.:embarassed:
nah this was when i was in school. she liked me for quite a long while as well, and she'd ask me out quite often but i just told her i didn't like her like that. i dunno how it affected her but throughout we always maintained a really good friendship. mutually, as well. i never made jokes about it, or told anyone else what she'd say to me. i just said that i wanted to be her friend only and it was fine.

Petit Prince

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
if he is a friend of your he shouldn't end your friendship for that. :thinking:
We are but we don't really do things together just the two of us. We usually go out with a couple of friends.

I'd like to get to know him better, I'm just worried he might end up getting hurt.

Ms Magpie

oh it's nothing special
Coldplayer
It's possible, but you should tell him immediately that you don't see him in that way. I guess it'll be hard for him to accept it, but if he respects you, he'll still treat you nicely and won't end your friendship. :)

ricardo

n00b
Coldplayer
I lost my bestfriend that way :cry: and I haven't had one since then

Ryujiki

4-A message
Coldplayer
Well,the answer for your question depends of a lot of factors:
What kind of friendship you have with him? You met the guy where you work?,from school?
He was in a relationship before?
You were in a relationship before?

My experience said that is one of the hardest things to try and normally it does not have a happy ending for all.