Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

29-Nov-08 - Sheffield, Arena- Tickets, Meetups, Review/Photos - (ORIGINALLY 7 Dec 08)

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
[Coldplay Oxfam Blog] A foggy day back in the U.K.

On a train to Sheffield, England. The accents have changed. The scenery (or what I can see of it), is very different. There’s coffee fumes in the air from the buffet car. Bleary-eyed Saturday shoppers are shuffling along in the carriages, for a boost of morning brew (with chocolate sprinkles).

Autumn looks like it’s been and gone. Trees stripped bare of leaves. Frost on the wiry grass. Thick.. Thick, fog. To be honest, I can’t see a lot at all. Aside from the occasional rooftop, lonely-looking horse, or another patchwork field. It’s all quite poetic.

To think that it was the start of the summer days, when Coldplay took the stage for their live return in Brixton, London, back in June. When ‘Viva La Vida’ crashed into the charts worldwide, and the band began to take the world by storm. I remember back in April, when I got my new job. Preparing for the tour, back in Oxfam House. Designing t-shirts and collecting boxes of materials. The buzz of waiting for the tour to begin. Over 60 shows later, and I feel like a seasoned veteran. OK, so not quite like some of the guys on this tour.. But at least I’m not quite so fresh-faced as I used to be. It’s been quite an adventure that’s brought us back (almost), to where we started.. Albeit, just a few hours up the M1. Two tours of North America and one whistle-stop trip around Europe later, and we are back ‘home’. Home for the band and about half of the crew at least. I’ve been looking forward to seeing how the show goes down here. Seeing some familiar faces, working with Oxfam GB, changing my dollars into pounds, and buying some of the snacks that haven’t been discovered yet, across those ponds.

Las Vegas to Boston, Strasbourg to Antwerp, Ottawa to Salt Lake City. With Budapest, Paris, Munich, Stockholm, Barcelona, New York, Chicago, Houston, Milan.. And many more in between. It’s been a long journey so far. Lots of miles. Lots of sold out Coldplay shows. Thousands of fans joining Oxfam along the way, and nowhere near enough sleep. Here I am, on a train to Sheffield, to start the last 3 or so weeks of the ‘Viva La Vida’ / Oxfam tour, 2008.

Tonight the focus will turn back to asking people to show their support for Health and Education FOR ALL. I have spoken about it before in this blog. Just simple things. Things, even that many people take for granted. But the same things that, without which, can deepen poverty, risk lives, limit opportunities and remove freedoms. With your support, Oxfam is asking for everyone to have clean water. Bars of soap. The chance to learn to read. For life-saving immunisations. Access to a doctor, locally. If you live in Sheffield. There are hospitals. Schools with teachers and train stations with running taps. Not everyone in the world, has this chance. It doesn’t seem much to ask. I hope that a few thousand more Coldplay fans will agree with that tonight, and pledge their support, for everyone to be given the same chance. Those record breakers in Ottawa, back in October, were campaigning for exactly the same thing. Why don’t you click here now, to join the campaign?

Just went through Derby. Almost there. It’s busy. More emptying coffee cups have joined the train. I still can’t see much out of the window, but it’s good to be home.

It’s foggy, and I’m proud.

Pete

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=111

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
weeeeeeee its real :D the UK leg of the tour is about to start :dance:

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
I know someone who is at this gig and I also know what Coldplay are playing right at this moment in time! :sneaky:

Unfortunately my phone has decided to crap out and didn't record it :(

Lore

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
how many hours until the gig? :uhoh: or is it on now?

I love the time difference when there are shows in europe!

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
I know someone who is at this gig and I also know what Coldplay are playing right at this moment in time! :sneaky:

Unfortunately my phone has decided to crap out and didn't record it :(
you know someone at the soundcheck??????????

Lore

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
ohh great.. it will be just 6pm here !

btw.. mariana is going, I hope she'll bring us some news after the gig

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
Not at the soundcheck, but close enough to hear them. And for me to hear them :D

You know them too... :p

Littlewhiteshadows

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Oh my lord I am going to thisssss. I am so excited, I am going to be closer to Mr. Martin than ever before in my life. I wish I was close enough to hear him right now...but I don't think his voice could carry that far :(

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Oh my lord I am going to thisssss. I am so excited, I am going to be closer to Mr. Martin than ever before in my life. I wish I was close enough to hear him right now...but I don't think his voice could carry that far :(
you've not left yet? you got far to go to get there?

Littlewhiteshadows

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
30 Mins, but they aren't coming on 'til 9.10pm according to the box office, I had no desire to see the support mean as it is and have had things to do anyway, they said it should be fine to turn up at about half 8, I just hope nobody's nicked my seats or there's going to be issues.

Littlewhiteshadows

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Leaving now anyway, I will take lots of photos or at least manage a grainy video or too on the old mobile. WOOO.

Lore

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
have fun :D

I really hope they'll change the setlist a bit.. maybe rainy day or lit II... would be awesome :bomb: