Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

28-Feb-2009: Burswood Dome, Perth, Aus - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Hit parade puts the faithful in a fever

FOR a man who has been a bona fide star since he was 23, Chris Martin appears to be well grounded. He may enjoy a lavish lifestyle with a movie-star wife and all the trappings of modern celebrity but where it matters most, in the studio and in concert, Coldplay's sandy-haired frontman is working as hard as ever.

On Friday night in Perth, on the first date of their Australian tour, Coldplay took to the stage in French Revolution-inspired gear - a touch ironic for millionaires, one would think - and showed that the mantle of biggest band in the world rests rather comfortably on their shoulders. They have been building towards this moment with four hugely successful albums; if they are at the pinnacle of "when I ruled the world" - as they describe on Viva La Vida - they are doing it with style.

This show does not rely on showbusiness schtick or overpowering personalties. Nor should it, for these are not Coldplay's stocks in trade. Yet if personality was in limited supply, energy certainly wasn't as the four-piece delivered a big, bold and spectacular 100-minute set where they used much of the space within the Burswood Dome to draw 17,000 people to them and inject an appreciable amount of intimacy.

They played all the hits - such as Clocks, The Scientist, In My Place, Fix You and The Hardest Part - in straightforward, instantly recognisable fashion. They utilised eye-catching effects such as hanging massive globes from the ceiling that transmitted distorted images from the screens at the front of the stage, and confetti-filled balls that bounced through the venue. They also played mini sets at other points in the room, including the nosebleed section up the back, but the show never outshone the material.

On their first national Australian tour, halfway down the bill at the 2001 Big Day Out festival, Martin looked almost overwhelmed as 20,000 people took up the stirring chorus to their first hit Yellow. Since then, Coldplay have achieved almost out-of-the-box success. This time around, Martin looked at home as he separated the audience into three sections to orchestrate a huge singalong.

The result was impressive enough but even better was the manner in which the crowd began singing (not shouting) in new songs such as Lost! and Viva La Vida without any prompting from the band. At those moments it was apparent that their reign looks set to continue for some time yet.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au

Next: Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; Brisbane Entertainment Centre, March 8 and 9; Acer Arena, Sydney, March 11, 12, 14 and 15.

roche714

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Yet if personality was in limited supply, energy certainly wasn't
This part of the review above annoys me.What does he mean,personality in limited supply???

but a dream

Crazy love giraffe.
Coldplayer
Congrats on getting a setlist!! :D
He managed to get it with my help :p
Awww... Min you look so pretty & happy :nice:
I've got the DAAHF tee aswell :p
Awww I'm not pretty :shy:
Thank you so much for that :sweatdrop:
No problemo :D
awesome pics Min & i love the banner :D
Thanks Jen :shy:
Certainly will -- hopefully I'll get something up tonight!

Really, really, really looking forward to it! :D:D:D
:D

I'm looking forward to your review!!! I'm so excited for everyone going!

yellowtalk

From the West
Coldplayer
The Big Jrad Review

So this review took forever to post, the concert was on Saturday but I had alot going on between now and then so I haven't go time...But Now here it is:D

My group got on the train at around 6 pm, there was three of us on the train and I knew we were in for a fabulous night. We got to the Dome around 6:30 and immediately my heart started to race when I saw the number of People, I was excited.:D:D We quickly found my friend, who joined us and then made out way into the dome, what #42 said about the pressure difference is very true.

I was very impatient in my seat, i justed wanted Coldplay to come on. It was quite a wait really and I remember sitting there thinking, is this ever going to happen?! Well finally I heard the Jay Z tune blast through the speakers and I knew it was about to happen. The Overtue they play was next and then I really started to get excited. There was a silence as it stopped and i gazed across the crowd. Suddenly LIT intro could be heard, the crowd went wild. I was now on a COLDPLAY high and shouted with all my might! It was really happening. Well for a first song it rocked. Next was Violet Hill, by the first chorus, the crowd were one happy choir singing "If You Love Me Won't You Let Me Know" I loved Jonny's solo!!:guitarist:

Next was Clocks, it was amazing, one of my favourites, the noise from the crowd also seemed to suggest so. It was then two blasts from the past the first being 'In My Place'. I think at this point Chris introduced the band as "Hi We're Coldplay, we're like Kings of Leon, except alot older, uglier and we sweat alot more" Yellow then rocked its way across the arena (I loved the balls they threw across the crowd and the mass crowd choir featured)
Cemetries of London my favourite on the album also sounded great. Next Followed Chinese Sleep Chant, and then 42 (very cool lighting in this one and chris did this cool outro where it looked like he was going to faint and then built up to a power note). Fix You was another great tune with the crowd joining in with the singing.

Strawberry Swing was next and an extremely sweet song. Jonny played it excellent and I couldn't help but sing along with Chris. There was a short break and the boy headed to C stage to play their techno remixes of the song, at first We wondered what was going on but then the beat came and we all quickly worked out what was going on...it was brilliance!! Chris then stayed to play the Hardest Part,introducing the song something along the lines of "this next song didn't make it into Shane Warne the Musical, but it brought us here" he's amazing acousticly but stuffed up the second verse...he swore, laughed and kept playing, he's very talented! The next song proved exactly this as he perfectly paid postcards from far far away I haven't heard a more sweet piano piece. "Ahhh Ooooh Uhhh Ooooh" Yep, it was here, VIVA LA VIDA, the song of the night performance of the night, Chris introduced it as the song in which "We'll attempt the biggest collaboration between band and crowd" It really did happen, 15, 000 chorused "Ahhh Ooooh Uhhh Ooooh" it was EPIC!Will certaintly knows how to drum :drummer: Lost followed it was another epic song, I love how Guy played the drums!!:drummer:

The acoustic set was upon us and the band made their way into the stands. Here they played Speed of Sound, Green Eyes and Death Will Never Conquer. Will is the most awesome Human jukebox ever!! **BAM BAM BAM** is the next thing I hear and the intro to Politik thunders from the stage! Lovers in Japan follows and its probably the most emotional song of the night for me, there's so many butterflies and chris looked extremely cool with his umbrella. Finally, it was Death And All His Friends, again the vocals were absolutely amazing. As the final notes rings out, I have a bitter sweet feeeling, was it over?

NO OF COURSE NOT, the band were back to play the Scientist! It was a good performance too, they did it perfectly. A rack of coats is brought on stage, the Sgt. Pepper ones, I then hear a dulcimer, the final song LIT2 is played. I felt the urge to get up and dance!

All around the perfromance was amazing...I loved it from the moment it started to the moment it finished. Funniest moment was when Chris ripped his pants!! He said it only happens when he's really into the performance. Worst part was the people infront of us!:inquisitive:

crazyduckette

...they're just spies
Coldplayer
Great video, amazing shots of Will :eek:
I thought Chris was topless under his jacket for a moment, haha....... :uhoh:

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
From the herald sun, don't know if they've been posted or not and they may even be from th 27th but here they are anyway :)

Jayzo

♥ under the Osaka ☀
Coldplayer
Yeah Ian thats from the 27th, but we'll pretend its from the 28th :D!!