Welcome to Coldplaying!

The sun and the moon...Solar eclipse...1919...Coldplay? Discuss Coldplay's upcoming album and all the theories on Coldplaying! سلام و حب

SignUp Now!

22-Dec-08: O2 Arena, Dublin - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos (NEW DATE)

deise59

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Finally just arrived back home from one of the best gigs I've ever seen. I'll post a more in-depth review with many videos tomorrow but for now Bohs's review summed it up well. It was absolutely amazing.

But while it's still all fresh in the memory, the highlights have to be Yellow, Fix You, Green Eyes and Viva La Vida. Bohs wasn't joking, the reception Viva got once the strings entered after Postcards was UNBELIEVABLE!

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
Viva to Martin and all his friends -- they sure can play

LOVE 'em or loathe 'em, there is no escaping the fact that Coldplay's meteoric rise during the noughties was astonishing.

Despite a poor critical reception last June, their current album 'Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends' holds the honour of being the most downloaded album in existence, topping the charts in a whopping 36 countries.

Back when this space was a horrendous dockside barn with atrocious acoustics, Chris Martin and chums played here while touring 'A Rush of Blood to the Head'. Both the venue and the band have raised their game since.

Even though Coldplay unashamedly rip off Pink Floyd, Radiohead and U2, and are currently being sued for plagiarism by Joe Satriani, their delivery and production values are impeccable. Apart from having to pay the outrageous sums of €6 for a pint, €6.50 for a glass of wine and €3 for a bottle of water, the O2 lives up to the hype.

Three songs into their set, they've got the crowd on their feet with 'In My Place'. Their breakthrough hit 'Yellow' is also disposed of surprisingly early on and the audience are firmly in Martin's hands.

Martin clearly is so fixated with Bono that at times I feel like he's auditioning for a remake of 'Rattle and Hum'. Two runways either side of stage see plenty of melodramatic running. Indeed, it's little wonder that they played five-a-side in Shamrock Rovers' spanking new Tallaght stadium over the weekend to warm up.

An acoustic interlude takes the show quite literally into the audience. Martin jokes that this is the "Boyzone segment" of the night, as the band launch into 'Jingle Bells' and drummer Will Champion gives 'Fairytale of New York' a lash with 10,000 or so on backing vocals.

Coldplay haven't reinvented the wheel or even come up anything original, but you've got to give them full marks for crowd pleasing.

http://www.independent.ie

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niF2Y9fxBUo"]YouTube - coldplay fairytale of new york[/ame]

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
:eek:

Do you reckon the band/roadies spotted him? Pete from Oxfam and the volunteers did!

Noémie

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Thanks for the video of Jingle Bell and Fairytale of NY!
The concert seemed to be great!!! (as always, I know) ;)
And Bono was there!!! :stunned:

uwwedoogie

I'm swallowed in the sea
Coldplayer
Bono left while everyone was distracted watching the band at the back doing Green Eyes.. getting out before the mob.. makes sense... im sure he was backstage with the band before the concert..

deise59

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JwT8v56Ug"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JwT8v56Ug[/ame]

Denise

Errr..what? yup PoC sucks
Coldplayer
Then another personal highlight of the night when the band left the stage and began ascending the stairs to a tiny platform in the middle of the crowd which just happened to be no more than about 6 feet away from where I was situated. I had debated this earlier in the night with my friend that they would come to the spot beside us to play the acoustic set, and luckily I was right :D I tried to collar Jonny as he came up the steps, I scream to "let me play Green Eyes" unfortunately it wasn't to be! Heart warming renditions of Green Eyes/Jingle Bells (which Chris proclaimed as a new song!) and Fairytale Of New York followed. Fairytale of New York went down a treat with the Dublin crowd as they ably assisted Will with his vocals on this. They promptly made a quick exit from their little platform and gave the crowd a little respite as a remix of Viva La Vida played.
sadly the rumour regarding Crests Of Waves was untrue!
I think I was close to you then Tony, cause I moved from my seat while they were still playing Lost! to get closer to the C-stage and security let me stay there just feets away :wacky:
Oh and where did you hear about CoW rumour? I guess someone didn't get the things right..

Bono and the missus were in the second row!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I was too far away to even be able to see him :bigcry: :bigcry:
But the thought of being in the same place as him :heart:

Oh and can I add one thing: Patrizio, damn you, you ruined the surprise..anyway I'll get back with the details of this show too after christmas

P.S. Just one thing, I never thought I would say this but Chris in person is far better than in pictures and Phil smile is great :nice:

Denise

Errr..what? yup PoC sucks
Coldplayer
Present for the Jonny lovers, hope you like it, ramp of love was too far away for my crap camera zoom, this is the best I could get (thanks to the security guy at the O2 for letting me stay so close :nice:)