Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

21-Dec-08: O2 Arena, Dublin - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
that's what you get for waiting so long ! :p jk
but yeah I'd love it :D it's been five days since the first gig you attended, I'm dying to know about Crests of Waves and everything else !! :dead:

Denise

Errr..what? yup PoC sucks
Coldplayer
But I came back home only two days ago :disappointed:...I guess everyone is still partying, eating and drinking for Xmas :lol:

back on the review

The High Wire came on stage short after, and must say I really enjoyed them...opposite reaction for Jon Hopkins, but I already saw him in Barcelona so I knew what to expect and warned the others about his kind of music and imagery :lol:

The stage had a strange set up, it didn't occupy the whole length of the arena, so on the two sides you could see all the instruments cases and roadies going back and forth, and I spied Miller with a light on his head like the ones used by miners :laugh3:
On to the show, Jay-Z's song was played, The Blue Danube and then lights off..they came out with sparklers, a surprise for me as I hadn't followed the previous UK shows reviews since I didn't want spoilers.
Life in Technicolor is perfect as usual as intro, then when Violet Hill kicked in people started standing up (I was already, I can't help it), though most of the arena was still stead, only when Chris told there was no need to stay seated everyone raised up ad were totally into it.
Loving lasers during Clocks, it's always great to listen and sing along to, then In my place, which I didn't remember was so early in the setlist..not much ramp of love action tough :)

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Haha about Jon Hopkins :lol: had the same reaction.. first time, I stayed and 'listened' to his whole set.. second time I ran outside :laugh3:

I hate it when Chris has to make that kind of comments about people who should stand up :confused: he shouldnt have to !

:dance: next part please !

Denise

Coldplayer
I must say Jon's images are quite intriguing though, I mean you stay there staring at the screen as if on an acid trip..or what I always tought and acid trip would look like :laugh3: :laugh3:

Ok then, Speed of Sound...magic balls in action :lol:

Then lights on and Chirs starts talking, making a challenge between Jonny and Guy and who between men and women could scream louder for each of them before playing Yellow, which I have on video but I can't seem to be able to copy it from the camera to my pc :angry: But it was absolutely great, I'm so glad the yellow ballons are back, more than ever

Well you know the setlist, it was time for Chinese Sleep Chant, 42 and Fix You (sung by the audience from beginning to end)

then Strawberry Swing, which I love especially for the "it's such a perfect day verse", it just suits so well when you go to a Coldplay gig :nice: it was great that everyone startes clapping before they were hinted to do so

And time for the B-stage :dance:
I must say I've never been a big fan of the new God put a smile and Talk dance versions, but I learnt to get used to it..though I would never complain should they decide to play them the classic way.
Since they were so close we took out our Italian flag (which I doubt they recognised since it was a bit dark and it's not so different from the irish one :laugh3:) and , of course, the CoW banner, which Guy saw but I didn't get the meaning of his look, or it was just a sign of approvation, I'm not sure..well, I thought, at least he saw it :lol:

Chris on piano for The Hardest Part, really loving this version, it made me appreciate it more..straight to Postcards from Far Away

Denise

Coldplayer
Hey Carla, how are you? hope you enjoyed Xmas :nice:

Carlaatje

Ms Multi-quote :D
Coldplayer
^^ I never get Guy's look when he notices something.. I think it's mostely embarresment :lol:

Hey Carla, how are you? hope you enjoyed Xmas :nice:
I'm good :D
enjoying the lovely Xmas presents you;ve brought us :wideeyed:

what about you? did you catch up on sleep during the xmas days?

Denise

Coldplayer
Yess I've slept a lot these past two days, the trip was great but a bit tiring, especially going back from Belfast to Dublin in the middle of the night, getting back to flat and find out an alarm going on that no one cared to stop, I woke up in the morning and it was still on :dozey:

and the presents are not over yet :D

Denise

Coldplayer
And then it's time for what has become their hymn..Viva la Vida, funfuckingtastic, the audience went completely nuts, on the floor section people were dancing everywhere, and the tiers where trembling with everyone jumping, and at the end of song Chris sat down to watch us singing

(sorry for blurryness but you get what I'm talking about)

Lost! as always is way better live..and I'm actually curious to see if they're playing the + version at Wembley :p
Then they run up straight to the C-stage where as you may know, after playing Green Eyes and Jingle Bells, Will sang Fairytale of New York, which as I already said was amazing, I was only sad I didn't know the words, because I guess there was really no one in the venue who was not singing along. Again I have this on video but it refuses to work on my pc :bigcry:

Funny thing: it was named Farewell to New York on the setlist :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

During Viva la Vida remix people sang along the chorus till they came out again on the main stage to play a great three-songs set: Politik, which is my favourite song ever by them :heart:, Lovers in Japan, which is climbing up my Coldplay top ten list (once again all the butterflies were incredible) and Death and All His Friends

and it was goodbye

but not before playing The Scientist, which I'm glad they started playing again as it needs to be, full band not acoustic, and Life in Technicolor II :nice:

And that's the end of the first review...when we went outside we spied inside the gates but no vans were to be seen, tough after a while one stopped outside and I saw Bash and Hoppy get inside.
We headed to the city center because my friends wanted to find a place to eat something, and while some of them were inside me and another were outside because we saw some paparazzi outside Lillie's Bordello, and since every band goes there when they play in Dublin, maybe we could see Coldplay as well, but they were prolly already inside and just saw some roadies and random people entering. We also took a stroll around their hotel which one of the security guy at the O2 gave the name of to some random girls...and tried to lie to me when I asked if he had just told them the name :angry:
We saw one van arriving, again with some roadies and maybe Will, at least that's whom my friend believes to have seen..I didn't :p
anyway, right on the back I saw this sign, and I needed to take a pic :lol:

and this is the lovely Grafton Street with Xmas decorations :nice:

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
:dance: I can feel a GREAT end for that night !! :dance: come on :p

Denise

Coldplayer
No happy ending for the night :disappointed:
They were still partying at Lillie's when we left (around 1.15 am, that's the deadline I gave to my friend), I didn't feel like staying there with the paparazzi and I wanted to take a sleep and be ready for the day after :D

Chavi

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Oh I thought you met Chris on THAT night ... thought that's what Patrizio said in the other thread. anyway, I guess I will find out later tomorrow, hopefully when I wake up in the morning :D thanks for the reviews ! :nice:

Carlaatje

Ms Multi-quote :D
Coldplayer
well still AWESOME stalking... you were right about them being inside :D

Denise

Coldplayer
Just a few pics of the c-stage that my friend took, they are amazing :nice:

bohs man

The Dubliner!
Coldplayer
I've put together a collection of some recordings from both nights in Dublin (although its mostly 21st) and put them in a rar. At present I'm missing, Speed Of Sound, Chinese Sleep Chant, GPASUYF/Talk, Politik and Life In Technicolor II. The rest is pretty much full versions of most songs. I have each song labelled with their date too. I guess its the best thats available at the moment until a proper bootleg emerges hopefully!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/177422500/CO2D21.22.DEC.2008.zip.html

Denise

Coldplayer
More vids from my friend :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhmBwMnYAAk"]YouTube - Coldplay - God Put a Smile Upon Your Face + Talk - O2 Dublin 21.12.2008[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzXeEyPgsw"]YouTube - Coldplay - The Hardest Part - O2 Dublin 21.12.2008[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_JXu7gF-Ps"]YouTube - Coldplay - Politik - O2 Dublin 21.12.2008[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfTEJbkWsRE"]YouTube - Coldplay - Lovers in Japan - O2 Dublin 21.12.2008[/ame]

and this is his youtube account for other bits of songs

ethernet

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Fantastic gig. Very well organised as well in terms of buses running to the venue. Here are a few more snaps. Excuse the bad quality -- didn't bring my camera as I innocently thought it would be a no-no so used phone. So much for being searched. Kicking myself now.

This was unexpected. Was in B block.