2019-11-02 Coldplay Live on Saturday Night Live (SNL)

oliviyya

Princess of China
Coldplayer
yeah i was very much expecting that to be longer but i also havent listened to the studio version yet so maybe it was shortened for time or something? still a lovely track though

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
@TomRiver I totally agree with the rawness of the performance. Really liked that.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks there's something missing or they're withholding something on purpose. At least I wasn't even biased and agreeing with everyone else this time, just turns out my opinion lines up with everyone else's

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
@42Escapist that's funny because I think What IF kinda ends abruptly myself, I actually edited the song to make it a little longer. I think there should have been a massive singalong chorus at the end and then it just fades back down gradually with ambient effects.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
@oliviyya wouldn't surprise me if they were forced to shorten it. and I hope that's the case. Sounds like they should just keep saying hallelujah over and over again! Doesn't feel complete without that.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
By a longer gradual outro I think they should have done something like Everything's not Lost where they go back into a more energized version of the chorus and then slowly have some ambient effects at the end then it just slowly stops. Makes me think this song actually sounds like a modern version of that!

danirl87

Up&Up
Coldplayer
@oliviyya wouldn't surprise me if they were forced to shorten it. and I hope that's the case. Sounds like they should just keep saying hallelujah over and over again! Doesn't feel complete without that.
cut off about 30s from beginning it seems and lol of ending but you guys aren't missing much that's different from performance

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
mmm guess it isn't that long. I actually managed to access a version of this and it doesn't look that long. Gonna listen to it when I can

kcp

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I’ll be the one to disagree lol we’ll agree and disagree .. I was kinda waiting for it to get a bit more intense in the song .. however the ending was perfect imo ....you wake up to a new day and quietly say halaluigh.. I get it .. I felt it .. a simple yet again Impactful message .. I don’t think it needed the build .. maybe I’m just trying hard to love it .. which I do . If that’s the final message of the album it’s very fitting .

oliviyya

Princess of China
Coldplayer
yeah! or some sort of instrumental break

jainharshul96

FamousOldPainters
Coldplayer
Can someone please share the download link for the video please? I missed the show

iamsue

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Is there an issue?
Yeah, I didn’t understand if that meant it was boring or good. Guess I didn’t like the language. Sorry, very OLDplayer here. I’m not feeling well and I probably over-reacted. Sorry. I like your other comments on this performance though!

TomRiver

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Yeah, I didn’t understand if that meant it was boring or good. Guess I didn’t like the language. Sorry, very OLDplayer here. I’m not feeling well and I probably over-reacted. Sorry. I like your other comments on this performance though!
Oh I meant it was good! Super fun performance. Definitely exuding joy and uplifting emotions.

No need to apologise, all good :)

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
Did you get your screenshot? I recorded it and will watch for it in the a.m. Will post here if I can get it.
Sadly I didn't, I found one person's screen capture of the performance on YouTube but the video quality is too grainy to read the text. I'm really hoping the band posts an official recording.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
I’ll be the one to disagree lol we’ll agree and disagree .. I was kinda waiting for it to get a bit more intense in the song .. however the ending was perfect imo ....you wake up to a new day and quietly say halaluigh.. I get it .. I felt it .. a simple yet again Impactful message
Idk, as I said in the other thread it is an artistic decision to not have that third massive chorus singing hallelujah, which is what we were expecting, and this era has thrown nothing but curveballs our way so far..... this might be a decision that ends up growing on me to be honest. That purposeful restraint might be a long term grower as opposed to the predictable massive ending that they usually do, and have done many times before. If we wanted them to try different things, this is a part of it and this is what we get. Not necessarily that experimental music has to sound good, the whole point is that it's different and original and some will sound good, others not so much, but the point is is that we can appreciate them for putting real effort in to make something original. Even though Everyday Life isn't experimental per se it does have unique artistic choices which could be labeled as such, including this shorter ending which is again something different to try out, and now we'll see how it goes and see whether it stays with us or not. It's definitely a twist I wasn't expecting, so I appreciate that. :eek:

Yes, Chris's voice didn't sound great live but it sounds ok on Spotify. He or rather his voice is getting old I'm afraid. You could notice that this summer when he was performing live on various occasions. Perhaps they should let Will sing live.
For a few years now his voice has been "old" and it's understandable it will only continue to decline. Heck it's well known now that it's likely he lip syncs Clocks live. I mean other artists manage to keep their voices for a lot longer, although around this age it starts to deteriorate anyway. It's not like Chris is renowned for his unimaginable singing capability anyway, it's the fact he's the frontman of Coldplay, the songwriting, his personality, how he is as a performer, and even his philanthropy that gets him praise. I guess then again people who've managed to retain their voices into older years don't go singing night after night for two years on several occasions while bouncing all over the stage, so it's more understandable that his voice continues to decline. Heck it's a wonder he does what he can do, night after night of singing even half accurately while keeping the energy to move all around like that, how does it do it?!!!? Obviously a very fit man. You'd have to be to pull that off so often!