18-Mar-2009: Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - Tickets, Meetups, Reviews/Previews

laurazstar

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
set list was the same i think, except they didn't do speed of sound acoustic, they did Will's song (which apparently he wrote while Chris Martin was playing cricket for New Zealand (cuz we have a bowler named chris martin) :p)

invisibleman18

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Setlist:

Life in Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Yellow
Cemeteries of London
Glass of Water
Fix You
Strawberry Swing
God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version)
Talk (Techno Version)
The Hardest Part (Chris and Will)
Viva La Vida
Lost!
Green Eyes (Acoustic)
Short Acoustic song with Will vocals (anyone know the title?)
I'm a Believer (Acoustic)
Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

Encore 1:

Politik
Lovers in Japan
Death and All His Friends

Encore 2:

The Scientist
Life in Technicolor ii
The Escapist (outro)

So 'Speed of Sound' was missing from the Australia setlists I've seen on here but no complaints. You can't get everything.
Will post more of a review and photos later. :)

RICK8

A Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
I think the best part was Will's drumming..made the songs sound awesome and a little heavier to the album cd etc...

RICK8

A Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
^It only lasted around a minute,but was good to hear Will singing!!!!

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Review: Coldplay in concert

Six years is a long wait for one of the biggest bands in the world to head to New Zealand.

But finally on Wednesday night, Coldplay kept a promise to us Kiwis - that if we built a decent arena, they'd play it.

The last time they graced these shores was in 2001 at the Big Day Out.

So with heavy expectation at the Vector Arena, the stage was set for a welcome return.

And boy - they did not disappoint.

After a slightly muted (and woefully brief) turn from Hollie Smith, ethereal 90s soundscape creators Mercury Rev took to the stage.

With blasts from the past including Holes from their greatest album Deserter's Songs, the band set the right tone for the night ahead.

Advertisement
But clearly the entire audience was there to see Coldplay grace us with hits from their past albums and from their current album, Viva La Vida.

After a breakdancing cleaner (!) swept down the side stages for the band, they erupted onto the stage.

And then everyone fell in love - once again - with Chris Martin and the boys.

Two giant screens midway in the arena allowed those far, far away at the back to enjoy the thunderous show they put on - lasers strobed the arena during Clocks, the lights pounded during Politik and the entire audience sang along to Fix U.

It's difficult to sum up the kind of energy Chris Martin brings to every performance - from skipping across the stage to theatrically falling down during the end of some songs, he clearly gives us heart and soul during every show.

That's probably some indication of why this is one of the hottest shows in New Zealand - or even the world - right now.

But the band hasn't lost their playfulness either with Martin exalting us to be loud enough and they would play some of their old stuff - cue Yellow complete with balloons falling from the rafters and being punted around the Vector until they exploded with confetti sprawling out.

However, the best moment of the night came when Coldplay showed they haven't lost their personal touch.

Leaving the stage on what appeared to be a victory lap, they took up residence right at the back of the arena to perform a slightly more intimate few numbers - including Green Eyes, a song from drummer Will Champion and a thunderous version of the Monkees I'm a Believer.

It was then after Chris explained you don't take a 97 hour flight and not meet everyone, that the band amply demonstrated why they have put on the best show this year - so far.

When it ended and the audience dutifully filed out, there wasn't an unhappy face to be seen as they spilled onto the streets.

If you don't have a ticket to Thursday night's final performance, beg, borrow (but don't steal) whatever you need to get there.

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/review-coldplay-in-concert-2566891

invisibleman18

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
No, they opened with Life in Technicolor from the album, and played Life in Technicolor ii from Prospekt's March in the encore. Not exactly the same track twice. :)

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Nah, they didn't.

The song that Will sang was Death Will Never Conquer.

I just got back from Auckland and heading into Uni for lectures soon. Will be back later to post my reviews and pics. :)

Ab

девочка
Coldplayer
The song that Will sang was Death Will Never Conquer.
Thanx! :dozey:
I asked The Oracle a while ago, she's gonna slag me off tomorrow! :laugh3:
I shouldn't have trusted CP-concert virgins' reviews! :p

2day

Sing It Loud To Coldplay!
Coldplayer
well actually there's a long story behind the bracelets...:D
Yeah last night I was reading up about them after doing a search. It's made by people out of rubber... when I get mum's credit card or something it's time to get em! :)

invisibleman18

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Finally got a chance to sit down and relive the concert.

Easily the best concert I have been to even if it is only my 4th (the previous being Snow Patrol x 2 and Matchbox 20). It was also my 4th time at Vector Arena (Snow Patrol, Matchbox 20 and Billy Connolly previously) and the first time I have seen it sold out and packed from wall to wall. Previously it's only been half full with the stage pushed forward and half the place curtained off. It's hard to put into words but I think 'epic' is the best way to sum it up in 1 word. It had everything - spectacular globes hanging from the ceiling with special effects, lasers, balloons bouncing throughout the crowd, the band going up into the audience for a short acoustic set and tonnes of multi coloured confetti flying all over the place.

Finally the lights went out, Life in Technicolor began playing and the band emerged onto the stage at about 9.15pm. Anticipation was high after sitting through a couple of pretty mediocre support acts (in my opinion anyway - at least, they did nothing to make me want to seek them out on youtube or listen to their albums which support acts from previous concerts have done for me). Great opening from Coldplay went straight into Violet Hill then Clocks which was accompanied by an amazing laser light show then In My Place. Brilliant opening to the concert.

Chris Martin then asked the crowd to make a lot of noise if we wanted some older hits like Yellow. Yellow then began after much screaming and yellow balloons filled with confetti appeared from nowhere and bounced throughout the crowd before eventually burtsing. I filmed almost all the song until one of the stewards asked me to stop so I stuck to photos after that.

The show continued with the same setlist and Fix You and Viva La Vida were highlights with the entire crowd singing every word. The band then went up into the the stand at the back to play a few acoustic tracks amongst the crowd. Green Eyes was followed by an old Will sung track (Death Will Never Conquer). A cover of I'm a Believer then followed which was very well received by the crowd.

There was then a short break while the band returned to the stage and they went into Politik which was followed by Lovers in Japan during which tonnes of multi coloured confetti appeared from nowhere. They said their thanks and left the stage after Death and All His Friends. A few people on the ground started leaving but I said to my mate that they were leaving a bit early. There hadn't really been a proper encore and there were still 2 or 3 quite big songs that hadn't been played yet so I was sure they'd be back. And they were with The Scientist which is one of my favourites. Life in Technicolor ii completed the show which made a great ending.

Turned into an expensive night with the $180NZ ticket, the $50 tour t-shirt with show locations on the back and the $25 program I bought, added to parking and dinner costs but it was well worth it. Pretty good program actually. Usually they cost about the same but are much thinner and not worth looking at.

Now I'll start sorting through photos and post the ones that came out OK, along with my videos.