Welcome to Coldplaying!

Register now to access the largest Coldplay Community with over 100,000 fans and an abundance of Downloads, Coldplay Games and more!

SignUp Now!

11-Mar-2009: Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

razors_girl23

Truth Beauty Freedom Love
Coldplayer
I'm just looking at my sig. I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since they were last here.

Also, is it just me, or did this show go much longer than on their last tour?? I feel like they played practically every big song plus more.

but a dream

Crazy love giraffe.
Coldplayer
I'm just looking at my sig. I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since they were last here.

Also, is it just me, or did this show go much longer than on their last tour?? I feel like they played practically every big song plus more.
It was just short of 2 hours.

Maybe it's because they have more material to play now :D

razors_girl23

Coldplayer
All good stuff too. I think their last album is my favourite, so I really enjoyed tonight. I was on the verge of tears for their first 3 songs.

but a dream

Crazy love giraffe.
Coldplayer
It was awesome :D:D:D

Even from a seated point of view, it was brilliant! So much energy in Coldplay :heart:

Me, on the other hand, is exhausted from having lack 2 nights of sleep already. I'll check back tomorrow before I leave for the gig :nice:

bello-lo

Rock Chic
Coldplayer
And we met Will and Chris :dead:

We were waiting outside the loading bay trying our luck. Will came out in a van and was very patient and gracious :heart: He told us both Guy and Jonny had left before him, but Chris was still around. So we waited... and waited...

Then this van with tinted windows came out. It didn't stop, although the person inside was waving at us. Some of us thought it was Chris, but the others weren't convinced, so we continued waiting until this nice security guard informed us that Chris was INDEED coming out, although we were to wait quietly and not mob his car.

So we stood at a respectful distance before Kelly came out and opened the door for Chris. He signed everything we threw at him :laugh3:, and took a couple of pictures.

My hands are still shaking.
How long did you wait?

On monday at the Franz gig we ended up hanging around for 2hrs afters, it was freezing though did meet all the boys :D

miumiu

DOMO KUN
Coldplayer
Viva La Vida with a bit of sparkle

COLDPLAY

Acer Arena, Olympic Park, March 11

YOU probably saw it coming: Coldplay hitting the stage with all guns, or at least sparklers, blazing. Not just because they are one of the world's biggest rock bands; more because of their faintly ridiculous home-made garb.

It's all military jackets and multicoloured frayed sashes, which, along with current fourth album Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, appears to take at least some influence from the Spanish Civil War.

The Brit four-piece's self-confidence knows no bounds in terms of song choice as well as their look. They follow the opening pair, both defining songs from the new album - including an explosive Violet Hill - with a run of signature epic rock ballads you would have expected to hear in the encore. In Your Place is stadium pop par excellence and the ever sublime Yellow even comes with an amusing, impromptu couple of lines from Farnsy's You're The Voice.

It doesn't hurt that Coldplay have such an affably charismatic frontman in Chris Martin - he of the easy self-deprecating wit and ability to get thousands chanting and clapping almost on a whim - but the band itself has a strong, effective chemistry too.

Add the gimmicks such as giant yellow balloons that spray confetti when they pop and you have spectacle to match the music.

Most of all, though, it's the songs, made for arenas such as this, that see them through. Yes, they can be ludicrously bombastic, often formulaic and maybe a little middle-of-the-road. But when the four leaders of the Coldplay army lead, it's easy to understand why so many follow.

Coldplay play Acer Arena tonight, Saturday and Sunday, and open Sound Relief at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 14 at 12pm sharp.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/music/viva-la-vida-with-a-bit-of-sparkle/2009/03/11/1236447311766.html

Zeya

Not a true fan
Coldplayer
It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I was at the front of the stage, got the setlist(johnny's with writings on it), met will and chris together with min (but a dream) and my friend.

Will update later, but just wanna say that it was bloody awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denise

Errr..what? yup PoC sucks
Coldplayer

We were waiting outside the loading bay trying our luck. Will came out in a van and was very patient and gracious :heart: He told us both Guy and Jonny had left before him, but Chris was still around. So we waited... and waited...

Then this van with tinted windows came out. It didn't stop, although the person inside was waving at us. Some of us thought it was Chris, but the others weren't convinced, so we continued waiting until this nice security guard informed us that Chris was INDEED coming out, although we were to wait quietly and not mob his car.

So we stood at a respectful distance before Kelly came out and opened the door for Chris. He signed everything we threw at him :laugh3:, and took a couple of pictures.

Woooooo, that's great Min, happy happy for you...see you can meet the bands you love :D

You know what, I have a feeling the person waving inside the van might have been Phil, that's what he did when he saw me and my friend in Dublin holding our banners :lol:

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer

:eek: :dead:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

melanieau

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I was so nervous... my hands still cannot stop shaking although I try not to.

Will was really nice :dead: I didn't manage to say much to both because there were just too many people and everyone was trying to get a few words in themselves. Although one of the other persons waiting for Coldplay told Chris that I came from Singapore to Sydney to watch them, and Chris said 'Wow thanks.' :nice:

Awww! Yay Min! :dance:

Ab

девочка
Coldplayer

O M G!!! :stunned:
Min, I'm so happy for you! :wacky:
I wish I could meet them too!! :bigcry:
Oh. I couldn't believe it when the guys came right near our seats on a mini stage. So lucky!!! Some guy gave Guy and Jonny a beer, so Chris gave him his harmonica. Sweet deal!
:D
Hmm, nice angle! :p
You know what, I have a feeling the person waving inside the van might have been Phil, that's what he did when he saw me and my friend in Dublin holding our banners :lol:
Min might have a heart attack when she reads this! :lol:

Pris

Oh, to be that bass.....
Coldplayer
A-fucking-mazing. They played Glasses Of Water and I almost had a heart attack. They played every single song I wanted them to. Now to do it all again tomorrow. Had to plan my attack for GA. I'm going to get there around 4:30 to line up and then if I can't get to the very front before other people when we're let in, I will head to the right of the stage where they play a few songs on the little runway type thing. My hope is many people won't have been tonight and won't realise to stand there.
Glad you had a great time and good luck with the next gig!!! :dance:

:dead:
Squeeeeeee!!! Congrats Min!!! :dance:
& Yaaayyy Jonny saw your banner :D

And i gotta agree with Denise, it was probably Phil waving at you :p
It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I was at the front of the stage, got the setlist(johnny's with writings on it), met will and chris together with min (but a dream) and my friend.

Will update later, but just wanna say that it was bloody awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's amazing!! :dance:

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
thanks for the reviews everyone! :D was the setlist the same as Brisbane?

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
awesome guys :D

and now its twitter time!:

farizah: @Coldplay i had the best night of my life..u guys were awesome, will and chris are such sweethearts. 'now my feet wont touch the ground'
38 minutes ago from web

dreadfuldan: i have to get up in about 3 hours. Just posted some @coldplay photos. http://tinyurl.com/chkv4u (expand)
about 3 hours ago from web

breeziegee: smiled all night while coldplay sung and thru energy into her. Im glad i went, forgot how good they are :D
about 3 hours ago from mobile web

t8steve: Coldplay are my mirror, my sword and shield...my missionaries in a foreign field. THEY WERE AWESOME TONIGHT!

Roycef: The Coldplay concert was great, they put on an entertaining show.

Joe_Pringle: coldplay.first night in sydney.i have never been to a better concert.this edged more towards a religious experience than entertainment.
about 4 hours ago from web

mojofactory: #Coldplay - awesome concert! Chris and his gang are extremely good value and have great stage presence. Thanks for joining me JC.
about 4 hours ago from TweetDeck

Loretta78: Bah...seeing Coldplay live was like watching a very loud (and very expensive) DVD. Boring. Not happy jan.

victor_laszlo: Just back from Coldplay concert. Dare I say it, it was really quite entertaining. Long Live Big B!
about 4 hours ago from twitterrific

gisellenguyen: Coldplay were sweet but the crowd were completely disgusting. Loved the rainbow butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan.

megsiewa: adored coldplay! and had Chris Martin poke his tongue out at her!!!!! Got to first/second row and now can't feel her feet!! xx :D
about 5 hours ago from web

JeffPerlman: just saw Coldplay - was awesome. too bad about the warm up bands, who were definitely not awesome
about 5 hours ago from web

awmorrison: http://twitpic.com/1zy3e - it was all yellow... Coldplay, acer arena.
about 7 hours ago from TwitPic

yesterdayshero: Amazingly yellow at @coldplay http://twitpic.com/1zy3o
about 7 hours ago from Tweetie

awmorrison: http://twitpic.com/1zxv6 - U who? Live from Coldplay sydney!
about 7 hours ago from TwitPic

Jenjie

Coldplaying Founder
Founder
Coldplayer
Coldplay turn Acer Arena into intimate gathering of mates

THERE is nothing more life affirming for a music fan than falling in love with one of their favourite bands all over again.

And about 18,000 Coldplay fans staged an infectious love-in for the all-conquering rock band at their opening Sydney concert at the Acer Arena last night.

While the self-deprecating band - which frontman Chris Martin refers to as soft rock - may insist they remain U2s understudy, Coldplay have put the Irish super group on notice that their crown can be taken.

The British group, the biggest selling act in the world last year, achieved the almost impossible feat of making a cavernous arena an intimate gathering of mates.

There is no disconnect between rock star and fan.

Gallery: See Coldplay in action last night

Martin keeps them as involved in the concert as he and his three band mates are.

His energy levels, his yoga-honed flexibility, and his soaring voice were captivating. The Coldplay frontman is a force of nature.

But so are his band mates. Guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion were also beaming with the exhilaration of playing to the converted who at times swelled in voice so loudly they almost drowned them out.

The set was perfectly structured, a fusion of old and new from the song that started it all, Yellow, through to the title track hit of their fourth album, Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends.

Coldplay cheekily also hinted at one of the big moments expected at their Sound Relief performance on Saturday with a chorus of John Farnham's You're the Voice.

The crowd karaoke which raised the roof was another moment.

And the deluge of paper butterflies which rained on the adoring audience during Lovers In Japan was another. You really just had to be there.

Coldplay perform at Acer Arena tonight and Saturday and Sunday.

But fans who will also be fronting up to Sound Relief at the SCG on Saturday are urged to get there early to not miss the bands opening slot at 12:15pm.

There are limited tickets still available for both benefit concert and Coldplay's final show in Sydney. For tickets, click here

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25174853-5012327,00.html

thef1re

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
EXCELLENT NIGHT!!

GOTTA LOVE THE STRENGTH OF THE CROWD'S VOCALS..... even chris (on many occasions) complimented how impressed he was!

hope someone recordord most of the show! would like to re watch or and or listen :)

gisellenguyen: Coldplay were sweet but the crowd were completely disgusting. Loved the rainbow butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan.
wow.. were we really that bad? can someone seated tell me if the crowd was indeed bad?

razors_girl23

Coldplayer
EXCELLENT NIGHT!!

GOTTA LOVE THE STRENGTH OF THE CROWD'S VOCALS..... even chris (on many occasions) complimented how impressed he was!

hope someone recordord most of the show! would like to re watch or and or listen :)

wow.. were we really that bad? can someone seated tell me if the crowd was indeed bad?
:confused: Um, no?