Thread: Floor Tickets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Floor Tickets? 
    Coldplayer
    Chat posts
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I want to purchase tickets for one of the St. Paul gigs and had a couple of questions. I've never been to a Coldplay concert, but I did see U2 last summer in the twin cities. I want to buy floor tickets but I noticed they had a row number and seat number. Does this mean anything? Isn't it first come first serve? My U2 tickets had the same thing but meant nothing. I would love some help figuring this out and any help is appreciated!

2. Sponsored Links
    Chat posts
    All floor tickets for the US tour are reserved seats, so you will have a specific section, row, and seat number. No GA
    04/29/05 Las Vegas,NV 08/20/05 Irvine,CA 02/03/06 Las Vegas,NV 07/19/08 Las Vegas, NV 11/22/08 SLC, UT7/16/09 Chula Vista,CA 07/18/09 Carson,CA 07/19/09 Irvine,CA 08/05/11 Lollapalooza Chicago,IL 09/15/2011 ACL Taping 09/16/11 ACL Festival 09/23/11 Iheartradio Festival Las Vegas, NV 10/17/11 Ellen Taping Burbank, CA 04/27/12 and 04/28/12 San Jose, CA 05/04/12 Hollywood Bowl 05/05/12 KROQ Weenie Roast Irvine, CA 06/22/12 and 06/23/12 Dallas, TX

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ColdplayNorth;5293859
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I want to purchase tickets for one of the St. Paul gigs and had a couple of questions. I've never been to a Coldplay concert, but I did see U2 last summer in the twin cities. I want to buy floor tickets but I noticed they had a row number and seat number. Does this mean anything? Isn't it first come first serve? My U2 tickets had the same thing but meant nothing. I would love some help figuring this out and any help is appreciated!

No, it's not GA standing. There is temporary seating on the floor, and everyone has an assigned seat.

Chat posts
    ^It's a pity because I wouldn't be able to sit when Coldplay is only a few meters away

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Papillon;5294071
    ^It's a pity because I wouldn't be able to sit when Coldplay is only a few meters away

It's extremely hard to get health & safety to agree to GA in many places, especially in an indoor venue. This tends to mean a lot of tours scrap GA everywhere because from a production standpoint, things work better if every show has a uniform set up.

Pretentious Tool
    Chat posts
    I still insist that floor seating in arenas is ridiculous. I've been in one of Coldplay's seats in the middle of the Home Depot Center, which is a STADIUM. It was an awful experience. You can't see one damn thing, plus you can't move around and dance because there's seats everywhere and other people want to just stand there. It would have been a far more enjoyable show in the higher levels. Not to mention Coldplay's floor seats are stupidly overpriced. Every rock band I can possibly think of has all-standing arena floors (even though Coldplay's "rock" status is disputable).

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkus;5294909
    I still insist that floor seating in arenas is ridiculous. I've been in one of Coldplay's seats in the middle of the Home Depot Center, which is a STADIUM. It was an awful experience. You can't see one damn thing, plus you can't move around and dance because there's seats everywhere and other people want to just stand there. It would have been a far more enjoyable show in the higher levels. Not to mention Coldplay's floor seats are stupidly overpriced. Every rock band I can possibly think of has all-standing arena floors (even though Coldplay's "rock" status is disputable).

Don't get me wrong, I do think floor seating is stupid (particularly on an ungraded floor, which seems to be your main issue.), I'm just saying that there's often reasons for things like floor seating that are beyond the production's control.

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkus;5294909

The really stupid thing about this is that there was a GA pit, so it's not like they couldn't get permission or something for GA. To me, having the floor seating/GA pit combo is worse than having exclusively floor seating. Thankfully I was front row pit for that concert, but I doubt even mid pit could see half of what was going on, never mind the floor seats that were further back.
    06 February 2006; Anaheim Pond
    25 November 2008; Honda Center
    18 July 2009; Home Depot Center
    03 August 2011; UCLA Tennis Center
    02 May 2012; Hollywood Bowl
    21 March 2014; Sony Studios

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ostrich;5295194
    The really stupid thing about this is that there was a GA pit, so it's not like they couldn't get permission or something for GA. To me, having the floor seating/GA pit combo is worse than having exclusively floor seating. Thankfully I was front row pit for that concert, but I doubt even mid pit could see half of what was going on, never mind the floor seats that were further back.

In a lot of places that do allow GA, you are still limited as to the total number of standing on the floor, so I'd bet that has something to do with it. I know where I live, it's extremely difficult to get permission to do GA standing at an arena show, and your numbers are limited to around half of what they would be with seating. I used to work with tours (from the local end), and I've seen how much hassle you can get trying to do standing admission, but that's mostly set by local law and can vary greatly from place to place. The only arena show I know of here that did standing was U2, and I heard they had to move heaven and earth to get that.

Standing next to Will at KROQ, Los Angeles
    Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fakfak;5295407
    In a lot of places that do allow GA, you are still limited as to the total number of standing on the floor, so I'd bet that has something to do with it. I know where I live, it's extremely difficult to get permission to do GA standing at an arena show, and your numbers are limited to around half of what they would be with seating. I used to work with tours (from the local end), and I've seen how much hassle you can get trying to do standing admission, but that's mostly set by local law and can vary greatly from place to place. The only arena show I know of here that did standing was U2, and I heard they had to move heaven and earth to get that.

Muse did a GA floor a couple of years ago at the Honda Center in Anaheim. Don't know why CP can't. Guess it doesn't matter here for this tour, since they were at the Hollywood Bowl - no GA (except for the small orchestra pit area) there.

Dianne
    08/20/05 Irvine 2/06/06 Anaheim 7/14/08 Inglewood 11/25/08 Anaheim 7/18/09 Carson 07/19/09 Irvine 8/3/11 UCLA 9/15/11 ACL Taping 9/16/11 ACL Festival 10/17/11 the ellen show taping
    10/18/11 KROQ studio, LA 2/8/12 Club Nokia 2/9/12 Jimmy Kimmel
    4/28/12 San Jose 5/1/12 Hollywood Bowl 5/2/12 Hollywood Bowl 5/3/12 American Idol
    5/4/12 Hollywood Bowl 5/5/12 Irvine 6/28/12 Tampa 6/29/12 Miami 12/30/12 Brooklyn
    3/22/14 Secret Show in Los Angeles 3/23/14 Sony Studios

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LFDianne;5295421
    Muse did a GA floor a couple of years ago at the Honda Center in Anaheim. Don't know why CP can't. Guess it doesn't matter here for this tour, since they were at the Hollywood Bowl - no GA (except for the small orchestra pit area) there.

From what you and Corkus have said, I think the CA rules must be more relaxed than here.

Chat posts
    In Singapore for the Viva La Vida tour, I think there was floor seating put you couldn't tell because every single person in the whole stadium was standing up anyway. I also went to to Muse and I was in the pit where there were no seats.
    - 23/03/09 Singapore Indoor Stadium -

Keeper of:
    - Jonny's KROQ Paradise solo
    - "On concrete canvas, I go making my mark"

Coldplayer
    Chat posts
    So would you guys suggest getting regular seats rather than floor ones?

Pretentious Tool
    Chat posts
    To use a current example, The Black Keys are currently playing in many of the same American arenas that Coldplay are playing in. Their floors are entirely GA, and that's not just one or two shows. It's all of them. So it's not just the venue's decision. It's the band and their promoters.

And yeah, I've been to several shows at the Honda Center. Coldplay was the only one that had floor seats.

Chat posts
    My guess: It's all about the money! If people are willing to pay for overpriced floor seating tickets, there's no way the promoters are gonna set up the arenas for GA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast