Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Whitney Houston 1963-2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/

12 February 2012 Last updated at 10:08 GMT

Singer Whitney Houston dies at 48

Singer and actress Whitney Houston, one of the most celebrated acts of all time, is found dead in Los Angeles at the age of 48.

12 February 2012 Last updated at 10:41 GMT

US singer and actress Whitney Houston dies aged 48

American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died in Los Angeles at the age of 48.

Police said she died in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where she had been staying as a guest.

Houston was one of the most celebrated female singers of all time, with hits including I Will Always Love You and Saving All My Love For You.

But her later career was overshadowed by substance abuse and her turbulent marriage to singer Bobby Brown.

Ms Houston died on the eve of the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. She had been due to attend a pre-awards party in the Beverly Hilton Hotel organised by her long-time mentor and record industry executive Clive Davis on Saturday evening.

He went ahead with the party, holding a minute's silence and telling the audience he was "personally devastated by the loss of someone who has meant so much to me for so many years".

The hotel was already teeming with reporters and celebrities when police received an emergency call from hotel security at 15.43 local time (23:43 GMT), Beverly Hills police spokesman Mark Rosen told the BBC.

Police were despatched, but paramedics who were already at the hotel because of the party attempted to resuscitate her, without success. She was pronounced dead at 15:55.

Mr Rosen said Ms Houston's entourage - comprising family members, friends and co-workers - had taken over much of the fourth floor of the hotel.

"There were a number of people on scene who were able to positively identify Ms Houston for us," he said, adding that her next of kin have been informed of her death.

Police investigators inspected the scene before Ms Houston's body was moved from the hotel to the coroner's office for an autopsy.

While the cause of death is unclear, Mr Rosen said there were "no obvious signs of criminal intent".

The US celebrity website TMZ.com reported that Ms Houston had been partying heavily on both Thursday and Friday nights.

She briefly took the microphone and performed a song while out in Hollywood on Thursday, and was seen drinking and chatting loudly with friends in the hotel bar on Friday, according to TMZ.

'Finest voice'

Houston's background was steeped in soul and gospel music.

Her mother was gospel singer Cissy Houston, she was cousin to singer Dionne Warwick and goddaughter to Aretha Franklin.

"I just can't talk about it now," Ms Franklin said in a short statement. "It's so stunning and unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was reading coming across the TV screen."

Having grown up in New Jersey, Houston began singing in church and then in the night clubs of New York, and was a model before being signed by Arista Records.

At the height of her career in the 1980s and 90s she won many awards and enjoyed several number one singles and albums.

Artists from Mariah Carey to Christina Aguilera have tried to emulate her bravura performances, but none of them were as good as the original, music critic Paul Gambaccini told the BBC.

Houston also enjoyed success acting in blockbuster films such as The Bodyguard and Waiting to Exhale.

In recent years drug use took its toll on the star and her voice - once acknowledged as one of the finest in pop music - was badly damaged.

"She did have it all, but the record is there of the decline into drug use and the damage done from drug use," said Gambaccini.

Her marriage to Brown, with whom she had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, ended in divorce in 2007. The marriage had been a tempestuous one, with allegations of domestic abuse as well as drug addiction.

"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy,'' Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in a 2002 interview.

Ms Houston was strongly linked to the Grammys - having won six awards herself over the years. Organisers of Sunday's ceremony said she would be remembered in a special tribute by singer Jennifer Hudson.

Civil rights activist Rev Al Sharpton said that on the morning of the Grammys, "the world should pause and pray for the memory of a gifted songbird".

Country singer Dolly Parton - who wrote one one of her most memorable hits, I Will Always Love You - said in a statement: "Mine is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of Whitney Houston."

"I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song, and I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, 'Whitney, I will always love you. You will be missed'."

Houston's career highlights

170m records sold worldwide

11 US number one hits

Won six Grammys, including three for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance

Won 30 Billboard Awards and 22 American Music Awards

I Will Always Love You is the best selling single by a female artist of all time
    Alastair Leithead

BBC News, Los Angeles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Whitney Houston had a perfect voice that inspired a whole generation of female singers.

It was a voice that made her one of the world's best selling artists; but it was also a voice, which as it deteriorated, betrayed her drug and alcohol addition.

It is not known how Whitney Houston died, but police say it was not suspicious.

There is speculation that she was found in the bath, while references are made to her very public drug addiction, but as yet it is not known how she died.
    Roskilde 5 July 2009
    Herning 16 August 2009

HELP CHILE AND HAITI by making DONATIONS to ONE OF THESE RELIEF ORGANIZATIONS:

BritishRedCross's CHILE Earthquake Appeal: http://www.redcross.org.uk/donatesection.asp?id=77029
    www.oxfam.org.uk - www.redcross.org - www.unicef.org - www.icrc.org or Disasters Emergency Committee receiving donations made on phone 0370 60 60 900 + through website www.dec.org.uk. Go to www.oxfamamerica.org, or text OXFAM to 25383 to make a one-time $10 donation to Oxfam’s Haiti Earthquake Response Fund.

Donations possible via text, phone or the "Hope for Haiti" Web site until July 2010

VIVA LA VIDA / VIVA COLDPLAYING.COM

MAKE PEACE
    - NOT WAR !!

2. Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!
    RIP
    best new member 2011
    southern & eastern europe ambassador 2012 & 2013
    2nd sexiest user 2012
    2nd mr. coldplaying 2012

las tum twi

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    That really sucks

Looks like iTunes shoppers are mourning too.

2-3-2003 - St. Louis, MO - 5-6-2005 - Chicago, IL - 9-17-2005 - St. Louis, MO - 2-26-2006 - Dallas, TX - 3-31-2006 - Chicago, IL - 6-23-2008 - New York City (MSG!) - 11-13-2008 - Kansas City, MO - 7-24-2009 - St. Louis, MO - 8-5-2011 - LOLLAPALOOZA (Chicago, IL) 6-22-2012 - Dallas, TX 7-28-2012 - Chicago, IL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wyrd
    Brent
    "A name normaly given to the most caring, warm people in the world, these people will make you feel beautiful and always keep you smiling. Sexy 'almost mighty fine' beasts.
    Its near imposible to not fall in love with a Brent.
    "

Stay weird, my friends. SupermassiveCPnerd's Avatar
    My Country: United States
    Fav Album : AROBTTH
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    A tragedy. Her voice was incredible.

Coldplay fan for life Cascading Waterfall's Avatar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    So she was found dead at 3.55pm American time. This was 12.55pm New Zealand time.

Apparently her ex husband Bobby Brown was at the funeral despite rumours he had been asked not to attend.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17072564

17 February 2012 Last updated at 12:23 GMT

Whitney Houston funeral guests confirmed

Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder will sing at Whitney Houston's funeral, to be held in New Jersey on Saturday.

Clive Davis, her musical mentor, will speak at the ceremony, which will include contributions from her cousin Dionne Warwick and singer Alicia Keys.

Houston's ex-husband Bobby Brown and Kevin Costner, with whom she starred in The Bodyguard, are among those who have been invited to the private service.

Police plan to block off streets around the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark.

No one without an invitation will be allowed near the building and fans have been urged to stay home.

The funeral will be shown live on US television after the Houston family agreed to have a single video camera inside the church.

The ceremony will also be streamed on the BBC News website at 12:00 EST (17:00 GMT).

Various media crews are already in place outside the church, hoping to capture footage of the guests arriving and leaving.

Songwriter Valerie Simpson, whose I'm Every Woman was covered by Houston in 1992, will also be attending the funeral.

She told CNN she hoped the day would be a celebration of the singer's talent

"Her personal trials and tribulations have nothing to do with her artistry," she told Piers Morgan. "Her record is her music. That incredible voice."

"It had everything - it was elastic, it had meaning, it had range, it had soul, it had pop sensibility and an ability to interpret a lyric in a way that made you feel it."

'No signs of stress'

The funeral comes one week after Houston was found in her hotel bathroom in Los Angeles.

Officials are waiting for the results of toxicology tests that will help them ascertain how the 48-year-old died.

Reginald Dowdley, the late singer's make-up artist, spent three hours with her on the day before her death and said he saw "no signs of stress".

"She was warm and inviting and welcoming," he said. "She didn't seem erratic. I didn't get any of that from her at all."

Houston was one of the world's best-selling artists from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, selling 170 million records worldwide.

Sales of her records have soared since her death was announced last Saturday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17056801

16 February 2012 Last updated at 10:00 GMT

Whitney Houston funeral service to be streamed online

The family of the late singer Whitney Houston have agreed to let her funeral be broadcast online this weekend. (LATEST: SEE ARTICLE ABOVE: Broadcast on US TV and BBC News website - and in Denmark it will be broadcast at least on DR Update).

A single video camera will be placed inside the church on Saturday to record the service at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey.

Footage will be made available to media outlets via the Associated Press

Meanwhile, officials investigating Houston's death have issued subpoenas for her medical records after finding prescription drugs in her hotel room.

The inquiries are routine in most death investigations, said Los Angeles assistant chief coroner Ed Winter.

It is not yet known what medication has been recovered from Houston's room, or which doctors and pharmacies dispensed them.

The 48-year-old was found underwater and unconscious last Saturday night, in a bath at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles.

Houston's funeral begins at 12:00 EST (17:00 GMT) on 18 February and is expected to last 90 minutes.

Marvin Winans, the gospel singer and pastor who married Houston and Bobby Brown in 1992, will give the eulogy.

Afterwards Houston will be buried in Fair View Cemetery in Westfield, New Jersey. Her father, John Russell Houston Jr, was buried there in 2003.
    Roskilde 5 July 2009
    Herning 16 August 2009

HELP CHILE AND HAITI by making DONATIONS to ONE OF THESE RELIEF ORGANIZATIONS:

BritishRedCross's CHILE Earthquake Appeal: http://www.redcross.org.uk/donatesection.asp?id=77029
    www.oxfam.org.uk - www.redcross.org - www.unicef.org - www.icrc.org or Disasters Emergency Committee receiving donations made on phone 0370 60 60 900 + through website www.dec.org.uk. Go to www.oxfamamerica.org, or text OXFAM to 25383 to make a one-time $10 donation to Oxfam’s Haiti Earthquake Response Fund.

Donations possible via text, phone or the "Hope for Haiti" Web site until July 2010

VIVA LA VIDA / VIVA COLDPLAYING.COM

MAKE PEACE
    - NOT WAR !!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2012...ster-tina/#top

I was recently looking up Whitney images on Google when I came across the above leaked photo of her in her casket.

The photo upset me because it is disrespectful not only to her, but also to her family, daughter, friends and fans. I am feeling more and more certain Tina Brown is responsible because she's leaked photos of Whitney once before and it has to her this time.

Account disabled

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Were you so offended by it that you had to post it, despite the fact it happened ages ago anyway?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    It was ages ago since the first time there were photos leaked of her, but the leaked casket photo was recent.

And I posted about the leaked casket photo as I thought people here hadn't known about it. However I am sorry for putting up the link to it. I promise not to post up anymore links like that one.

Account disabled

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure I saw the leaked casket photos within a few days of her death, and within a week maximum it was on the National Enquirer.

I wasn't really looking for an apology, it just seems a bit odd that you'd post something that you're disgusted by some magazine printing doesn't it? I think we get a pretty clear idea of what Whitney Houston looks like in a coffin without needing the picture. But whatever.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    At first I thought her ex sister in law may have been the one who leaked the photo, but now I'm not sure who the culprit is.

I am still upset about that photo though.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EcgV8gZZ08"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EcgV8gZZ08[/ame]
    Whitney Houston's Family Demands Murder Investigation:

Last night I was looking up Whitney Houston interviews on Youtube when I came across the above clip.

Apparently one of her relatives could be responsible for her death.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I was about to ask if anyone knew how I could subscribe to this thread, but I've just subscribed.

It has been confirmed that her death was through accidental drowning. This was on the news 2 nights ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12