Poll: My favourite moment of June 2011 in Coldplayland was...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

1. #1 12 Coldplay Months of 2011: June review (seven new songs unveiled during festival shows) 
    mr coldplaying himself busybeeburns's Avatar

Fav Album : X&Y
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Health warning: watching all the following will consume your Christmas Eve entirely and eat into your family time...!

Coldplay jazz up their look...

Coldplay decided to jazz up their look again for the LP5 era. Having previously explained their new sound is inspired by New York graffiti, Coldplay took to wearing relaxed-coloured jackets, contrasting t-shirts and carrying around cans of spray paint. Chris Martin underwent a particular style overhaul. Gone were his curly locks, and in place is a smart, slicked-back style.

Their new look was unveiled as they announced the first single from the new album era, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. We asked you on the messageboard what you thought of the new look, and you also voted in favour of the fashion statement. The results were are as follows...

Just days later, that new look translated into a brand new setlist, and on 4th June 2011 we all got to see for ourselves the new look live at Rock am Ring in Nürburgring, Germany. One comment seemed to sum up the euphoria experienced by Coldplayers around the world: "I'd love to put Alan McGee's face in front of Jonny's guitar for the whole of that first half and watch his skin slowly peel away from his already fucked up face." [thanks howyousawtheworld]

MX / Hurts Like Heaven ("the opener...")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fEWsM4mNc"]Coldplay - "Mylo Xyloto + Hurts Like Heaven" ( Mylo Xyloto ) HQ Live @ Rock am Ring festival:Germany - YouTube[/ame]

Major Minus ("the loud one...")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkgjO7n-YZg"]Coldplay - Major Minus Live Rock am Ring - YouTube[/ame]

Us Against The World ("the quiet one...")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGlqmn2HSTk"]Coldplay - " Us Against the World " ( Mylo Xyloto ) HQ Live @ Rock am Ring festival : Germany - YouTube[/ame]

Charlie Brown ("the immediate hit...")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4yLwJi8vHs"]Coldplay - Charlie Brown Live Rock am Ring - YouTube[/ame]

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall ("the closer...")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB-GWZl1fVM"]Coldplay - " Every Teardrop is a Waterfall " ( Mylo Xyloto ) HQ Live @ Rock am Ring Festival:Germany - YouTube[/ame]

But.........

MX... check.
    Hurts Like Heaven... check.
    Major Minus... check.
    Us Against The World... check.
    Charlie Brown... check.
    Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall... check.
    Princess Of China... where the fuck did that go?

Princess Of China, although played the previous day at Rock Im Park, was then dropped from the setlist because, according to the Oracle: "It simply didn't sound the same without Rihanna. It was written with her in mind."

Sadly then... this is all we had until the album was leaked (released) in October.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJCJe8hRFrM"]Princess of China - Coldplay live at Rock im Park in Nuremberg 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

New single 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' gets mixed reviews

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMhvkC3A84"]Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall - YouTube[/ame]

We had so many comments about the new single released on 3rd June (the video came later, on 28th June) in the ETIAW subforum, both good and bad, that it was almost impossible to keep up with them all. The polls, however, spoke for themselves. Here was the flavour of public opinion...

The ETIAW video, however, went down a little better than the song with fans...

Rolling Stone said of the video: "Chris Martin has said that the graffiti of the early hip-hop movement in New York City in the Eighties was one of the chief inspirations for the songs on his band's forthcoming fifth album. In the video for "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall," the first video from the still-untitled record, the band fully embraces that influence with animated tags and drawings that mark the walls and ground around them as they rock out in a bombed-out industrial zone. The vibrant, colorful clip is well-suited to the song, which has a shaky, excited energy and the sort of optimistic, romantic lyrics that have made Coldplay one of the world's most crowd-pleasing rock bands."

Equally complimentary were the New York Post, writing: "I already gushed over Coldplay's newest song -- "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" -- when it premiered on June 3 and now I have just as many complimentary things to say about the accompanying music video. Shot using a combination of black light & stop-motion photography (why it's so herky-jerky), the clip proves that the boys are just as interested in pushing boundaries with their videos as they are with their music."

AOL Music's review was as colourful as the video. They wrote: "Imagine how it would look if Rolf Harris drank too many Fosters one night and decided to turn his hand to Banksy-style street art, pulling on a hoody and running amok across an urban landscape with his pot of primary colours. And imagine if, for no good reason at all, the members of British rock-lite mega group Coldplay turned up later to judder about the dusty debris like they'd swallowed a strobe light. You've just envisioned the new video to their latest single 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall'."

We think online magazine PopDust like it: "Let it be known: pop stars love neon, especially in the summertime. Following Nicki Minaj and the New Boyz, Coldplay is the latest group to embrace these quirky shades and a black lighting in their new video “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.” The group literally paints the town in the clip below—a quick stop-motion camera follows Martin’s frantic dancing, while splatters of paint in every hue narrate (and illustrate) the scene around him. Who knew Gwyneth’s husband had such a knack for fist pumping? The single has been getting lots of play on the televised Wimbledon coverage this week, yet somehow we don’t think the All England Club would approve of all that color in the video."

And how about this from the Arjan Writes website: "The video stays true to the song's escapist lyrics, bright melody and uplifting message with an abundance of splashing color, glow in the dark scribbles and fast-moving stop motion animation. The video's (seemingly) simple production neatly contrasts with the song's grand, atmospheric sonic stylings with universal and blissful lyrics about hope despite adversity that will turn every sad summer day into a soaring one. "Turn the music up, I got my records on," lead man Chris Martin sings. "Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees, but my heart is beating and my pulses start. Don't want to see another generation drop, I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.""

However, Prefix Mag were not 100% convinced. They said: "The folks behind Coldplay have slowly been drip-feeding us tracks from the new "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" single, and now it’s time for the official video to make an appearance. There’s no flash here—this is simply a high-energy performance clip, with the band deposited amid graffiti strewn walls on an abandoned housing complex. The jerky editing suits the manic feel of the song, and Chris Martin gets a chance to show off his awful new haircut and jump up and down a lot. Seriously, the dude must have been exhausted after making this clip."

And We Got This Covered were impressed. They gave us their thoughts online: "It’s a very cool video and suits the band and their music very well. Sampling the 90′s classic Ritmo de la Noche, the single serves to remind us that Coldplay isn’t gone and that their fifth studio album will be dropping come the fall. The street graffiti theme here is great and on a visual level, the video is very creative. Highly-colorful images mixed with the stop motion make for an exciting visual experience and truthfully, this is one of the best music videos I’ve seen in a while. You can tell that a lot of work went into it and the artistic aspect of it is just wonderful. As for the song itself, how can you not like it? It’s an uplifting Coldplay track with some catchy guitar riffs and Chris Martin‘s signature vocals carrying the whole thing. Personally, I love it."

Then The Sun newspaper chipped in with their review: "Coldplay's comeback video is a colourful affair. Paint plasters floors, walls and ceilings as the quartet rock out in an abandoned warehouse. The promo to Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is shot using a stop motion technique which lends an animated air to the film. The anthemic offering's lyrics appear behind frontman Martin in bright primary colours as he sings the words. Abstract patterns and designs also plaster surfaces in the derelict building. The band are also shown thrashing away in a darkened room under ultra violet light which makes some of the artwork glow. The band's frontman has spoken of his admiration for spray can art recently. Talking of what has been inspiring him, he said: "The ideas come from graffiti art of the 70s in New York, where people were expressing themselves with paint. I've spent a lot of my life playing it a bit safe or conforming to something, even though I didn't agree with it. So I have respect and admiration for people who don't.""

Meanwhile, Charlie Brown becomes the clear favourite in the song race...

we asked you which of Coldplay's new songs you thought was your favourite. After approximately 2100 votes on the main site and another 250 on the forums you voted Charlie Brown as the clear favourite, with almost 40% of the votes. The new single (as was then), Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall received an average of just 10% of the total cast, despite notching up 4,000,000+ viewings on YouTube via ColdplayTV in its first week.

Major Minus and Hurts Like Heaven are currently in 2nd and 3rd positions respectively. Us Against The World has actually received less total votes than ETIAW despite being positively received amongst Coldplay fans. Princess Of China has understandably received the least number of votes because a decent video recording of the song has not yet been found; it was not played at the streamed Rock am Ring festival last week.

'Moving To Mars' is unveiled

we got to hear another track from Coldplay's forthcoming Every Teardrop is a Waterfall EP in the shape of 'Moving To Mars'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KsutWy3UU"]Coldplay - Moving To Mars (Official) - YouTube[/ame]

Moving To Mars is the third song from the new Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall EP that’s was released digitally on Sunday 26th June via iTunes. It is considerably more downbeat than the previous two tracks from the EP, with much of the first minute or two derived from Chris Martin sitting alone at the piano before the other instrumentation kicks in. Stereogum described it as "a cosmic ballad with Chris Martin taking notes and poses from the 'Life On Mars' / 'Space Oddity' / Dark Side Of The Moon songbook."

Here's what you thought of the song, remember folks, the polls never lie....

Just a day earlier, on June 23rd, Major Minus was released to the airwaves...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O9X0_WNTY"]Coldplay - Major Minus (Official) - YouTube[/ame]

However, not everyone was happy with what was going on...!

Image by SueDeNimes

Glastonbury 2011!

Coldplay hailed the Somerset festival as the most important-ever show in their busy touring schedule. Drummer Will Champion told James Cabooter from the Daily Star: "You know how important it is in the British psyche. Because Glasto comes early in the festival calendar, and it’s the biggest one for us, everything is focused on getting it right."

The band have played Glasto five times now and have many fond memories. Will continued: "We’ve come a long way. The first year we played we got dropped off at a gate furthest away from the stage so we had to walk with all our equipment across the site, which took 20 minutes. I went as a punter in 1995 with friends and it was amazing – blinding weather and we watched The Saw Doctors, Boo Radleys and Pulp."

After Saturday’s storming performance Coldplay's focus is now on more European festivals and a new album. Will added: "Everything is happening at once so it’s all about juggling a lot of things. We are all in agreement as to most of the album. We don’t want it to be too long so the plan is 'concise and powerful'."

This is how it started...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRT7Lcr76pU"]Coldplay (HD) - MX / Hurts Like Heaven (Glastonbury 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

This is what happened in the middle...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB1qdUoL3hg"]Coldplay (HD) - Us Against the World (Glastonbury 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

As would later be written by Billboard: At the band's monumental performance at Glastonbury when a first run at "Us Against the World" faltered in front of the Glasto masses and millions more through BBC and VH1 TV watchers. The group good-naturedly gave it another go, making for a special moment in a performance full of them. "We have a rule," Martin says, laughing and shaking his head, "that one fuck-up is charming, but any more than that is unprofessional."

And this is what they did to the famous pyramid right at the end...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7na7AUWRh3k"]Coldplay (HD) - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (Glastonbury 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

Well, not quite the end... (Chris storms out again, but this time in a nice way... )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thi-eWDrZvw"]Coldplay - Glastonbury 2011 - Interview BBCHD [1080i] - YouTube[/ame]

Just some of your Coldplay @ Glastonbury 2011 commentsthanks to everyone for their reviews!):

That crowd was outstanding! The performance was NOT flawless as someone said earlier - especially the beginning was shaky and unfocused. It seemed to me like the boys aren't comfortable with Hurts Like Heaven yet - that opener did not work at all. But from there it only got better and more awesome and undescribably fantastic - a firework of highlights in almost every song. Nice setlist, although I would've loved one more song from the VLV era - like LiTii or Yes... Loved to hear Shiver again and GPASUYF in that great version! And I actually do like ETIAW now after first I was a little pessimistic. But that live version was a kicker and a powerful ending of an unforgettable performance. Oh, which Glasto was best? I'd say 2011>2002>2005 but only because 2002 was sooo special and important for the development of the band! [thanks CHB(tm)]

I think it was a really good performance but the crowd was shitty at some moments (Everything's Not Lost deserved WAY MUCH singalong that it had), so based on that and the fact that they closed with a, in my opinion, weak song, I choosed the 2005 show. Still, one of my favorite Coldplay show's ever. And we finally got an old stuff/new stuff balanced setlist! [thanks JM-SP2]

Not only was it their best Glasto in my opinion, but one of their best live performances ever. A truly fantastic setlist of old and new, a flawless execution, and a happiness and energy that was awesome. They were just on top of their game from start to finish. [thanks Jayzo]

Watch on TV and I thought it was a stellar performance. I know some think that Chris seemed stiff & nervous but I thought he was just toning down the goofiness. I don't need him rattling on about some craziness (as entertaining as that can sometimes be, I think it feeds the haters). He kept the jumping and trashing around at a respectable pace so that his voice didn't suffer. He only asked how everyone was doing 10 times instead of his usual 50. All in all, I think this venue is really important to them and they treated it as such. To me, they looked like a band that knew the world was watching and they had something to prove. [thanks Pink]

Not to be overly critical, but I was jugely dissapointed by the performance. The setlist was choppy, and not well thought out. I hate that they played nothing from X&Y except fix you. They were really uncomfortable and visibly so throughout the entire performence. In essence, there were enough bad vibes to run a hoodoo factory, which completely ruined the whole experience for me. [thanks cp13]

I was excited all day to watch this online. I was planning as far back as last year to go to Glasto, but money interfered and prevented me from making the trek. So I figured watching with my sound system cranked was the next best thing. Yes, they did look nervous. However from Politik on they killed it. Today I fell back in love with Coldplay. I was enjoying it, then my favourite song Politik came on, and the notes Jonny added to the solo were, AMAZING. They woke the crowd up with Viva La Vida, and Charlie Brown has already become a classic. Watching this I acted like I was there, dancing and singing my lungs out. It brought back so many good memories of the Coldplay shows I've been to. Festivals are notorious for being plagued with technical problems, its to be expected with so many different bands setting up into the same sound board in such short a time, as well as no real soundchecks. Coldplay has asserted themselves as the big band of our time, and with U2 fading off into irrelevance, they are poised to become the biggest band in the world, this show, the new album and tour will either cement that, or keep Coldplay on the top of tier two in the music world. Much can be made of them not including a U2 cover, Im sure they mulled over it for quite awhile. They are huge fans, but they decided to do what they knew and not what was expected. I did think Jay-Z would come out for his verse in Lost! but they likely wanted it to be about them and their show. Jay would have been freaking cool but would have taken away from the overall specialness of the night! U2 covering Coldplay shows that they acknowledge that they are huge and the new kids in town. It was Bono showing mutual respect, we all already know Chris respects them, no need to pet their egos. [thanks Malcolm-Edge]

I watched it on HD last night and I must say it was like being there! I only wish I had some Coldplayers around to sing and dance with GPASUYF gave me chills, they rocked that song hard, and Mr. Champion has never hit those drums as hard before IMO. Personally, I didn't think they looked nervous, they had this show in the back of their pockets, pulling 19 songs out, 1 by 1, and giving it 100%. This show was pure to the core!!!! [thanks MartinFan]

Just finished watching the concert on Palladia.And I got to say that watching it in hd I felt like I was there!!Amazing concert!!I watched the stream earlier and it just wasnt the same as watching it in hd.They were full of energy and the setlist was perfect!!I liked that Jay-Z,Beyonce,Gwyn,and Simon all looked like they were enjoying like they were just fans dancing around.The boys were great!!Love me some Coldplay!! [thanks IneedYou23]

2011 was the better performance. they have never been better, never been brigther, never been bigger than they were saturday night. it announced the band as the biggest in the world, but many already were aware of that. i think 2002 was a bigger for the band's career. to headline glastonbury and to play a majority of your, to that point, unreleased 2nd album is amazing. think of where they were at that point. think of how nervous they must have been before that show. and think of how they had the crowd won over before the bridge of politik, the show's opener. truly incredible. it changed the trajectory of the band, or rather, announced to the world exactly where this band was headed. suffice it to say, both shows were massive. these boys are special. [thanks glking]

And finally...

Enjoy some pictures from Coldplay at Pinkpop Landgraaf festival, Netherlands (11th June 2011) and of course a forgotten classic:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIl_RPSO4-U"]Coldplay - Trouble [Pinkpop 2011] - YouTube[/ame]

The early bird catches the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese!

2. Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Brilliant review. June was my favorite month partly beacause i was lucky enough to be at Glastonbury!

Kris
    16/12/08 The O2, 18/09/09 Wembley Stadium, 25/11/10 River Thames, 8/12/10 BBC Christmas Top Of The Pops, 19/12/10 Hidden Crisis Gig Liverpool
    25th June 2011 Glastonbury Festival
    22/07/11 iTunes Festival, 24/11/11 Little Noise Session, 9/1211 The O2, 10/12/11 Under 1 Roof The O2, 01/06/12 Emirates Stadium, 02/06/12 Emirates Stadium,
    04/06/12 Emirates Stadium, 9/06/12 Wembley Stadium
    09/09/12 Paralympic Closing Ceremony

Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!
    Was a great month for Coldplay fans. Never thought they would reach that level of awesomeness live. Excellent review!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Brilliant review.
    Roskilde 5 July 2009
    Herning 16 August 2009

HELP CHILE AND HAITI by making DONATIONS to ONE OF THESE RELIEF ORGANIZATIONS:

BritishRedCross's CHILE Earthquake Appeal: http://www.redcross.org.uk/donatesection.asp?id=77029
    www.oxfam.org.uk - www.redcross.org - www.unicef.org - www.icrc.org or Disasters Emergency Committee receiving donations made on phone 0370 60 60 900 + through website www.dec.org.uk. Go to www.oxfamamerica.org, or text OXFAM to 25383 to make a one-time $10 donation to Oxfam’s Haiti Earthquake Response Fund.

Donations possible via text, phone or the "Hope for Haiti" Web site until July 2010

VIVA LA VIDA / VIVA COLDPLAYING.COM

MAKE PEACE
    - NOT WAR !!

Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!
    Brilliant!
    best new member 2011
    southern & eastern europe ambassador 2012 & 2013
    2nd sexiest user 2012
    2nd mr. coldplaying 2012

las tum twi

It's such a perfect day randomnames's Avatar

Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    This just obliterated my review Great job! I think I should add more photos.

Errr..what? yup PoC sucks Denise's Avatar

Fav Album : AROBTTH
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    No Venice photoblog?

jk

mr coldplaying himself busybeeburns's Avatar

Fav Album : X&Y
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I think my character limit was running out
    The early bird catches the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denise;5136609
    No Venice photoblog?

jk

Indeed

Keeper of: "If you never try, you'll never know just what you're worth"; The "Goodbye and goodnight" Chris says at the end of every concert; "And I'm up here holding on to all those chandeliers of hope"; Chris speaking Italian; "As we soar walls every siren is a symphony and every tear's a waterfall"; "So you can hurt, hurt me bad, but still I'll raise the flag"; Chris's blue watch; Chris's colourful piano (2011);
    Coldplay @: HJF 09/06/11 - Nice 22/05/12.

PEACE & BUCKIN LOVE

My Country: France
    Fav Album : AROBTTH
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!
    what a lot to read

thank you Ian

Paris - Rio de Janeiro - São Paulo - London Boat Trip - Pinkpop Landgraaf - Rock Werchter - Main Square Arras - Optimus Alive Lisbon - Oxegen Ireland - iTunes Festival London - Paris - Paris - London - Paris - Berlin - Zurich - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Paris - Hannover - Paris - London
    Thanks A-man! 19/12/10 - 20/12/10 - 09/06/11