1. #1 New Zealand: National Party Leader In Coldplay Copyright Trouble 
    mr coldplaying himself busybeeburns's Avatar

Fav Album : X&Y
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

John Key could be in copyright trouble over music used in the DVD to mark his year as National Party leader.

The party has been warned it is walking a fine line by using a newly created piece of music very similar to Coldplay's Clocks. The similarities are enough to have prompted the Australasian Performing Right Association, which manages copyright issues and licences for many international bands in New Zealand, to notify the copyright holder for Coldplay frontman Chris Martin.

The Weekend Herald asked a music lawyer and musicology analyst to compare the Coldplay song to music used in the opening segments of the Ambitious for New Zealand - Meet John Key DVD because of confusion from some readers about the song in its opening segments.

National Party campaign manager Jo de Joux said the music was composed by "an Auckland artist" and paid for by the production company which produced the DVD.

However, music lawyer Chris Hocquard said if it was similar enough that the public was confused into thinking it was Clocks, it could be in breach of copyright laws and the Fair Trading Act.

"The test is 'does it confuse?' Does the public listen to that and think 'that's Clocks?' There's a very fine line when you're doing this and you have to be careful not to cross it. And I'm not sure they haven't."

Dr Graeme Downes, the former Verlaines frontman who is now a musicology consultant at Otago University, said the music shared the same rumba beat, harmony and chords as Clocks.

It also had a similar drum introduction, and the key was the same, "which draws even greater attention to the harmonic similarity".

"If I were approached by a lawyer to furnish a report for a prosecution of copyright infringement against the music on the DVD I would happily do so. If approached by a lawyer to furnish a report in its defence, I would decline."

Martin is well-known for his alignment with left-wing causes, such as fair trade and Oxfam, and his opposition to the Iraq War and George Bush. In his acceptance speech after winning the best record Grammy for Clocks in 2004, he specifically endorsed presidential candidate Democrat John Kerry.

The NZ branch of Coldplay's record company, EMI, had no comment.

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz
    The early bird catches the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    YEAH YEAH YEAH whatever, it should be an honour a politician likes COLDPLAY lol

3. #3 National Party forced to recall promotional DVD 

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

National Party leader John Key says his staff should never have signed off a DVD that appears to plagiarise a hit by English rock band Coldplay.

Key yesterday ordered a recall of 20,000 DVDs featuring him in a video called Ambitious for New Zealand after Coldplay's record company, EMI, warned National it was breaching copyright by using music similar to the smash hit Clocks.

The DVD focuses on Key travelling New Zealand by car, visiting schools and factories and talking about his vision for the country.

Produced for National by Production Shed TV, the cost has not been disclosed but The Press understands the party spent $110,000 on it.

The DVD was meant to relaunch Key's image and introduce him to New Zealanders unfamiliar with the National leader, but the botch-up has embarrassed and angered the party.

Last week Key toured South Island centres, handing out thousands of the DVDs, and planned a similar North Island tour.

National Party campaign manager Jo de Joux previously insisted the music had been commissioned from an Auckland artist and was original.

She said yesterday that the party was angry with the production company. "We paid these guys to make a DVD for us. We relied on their expertise and they have let us down."

Key said National should not have relied on Production Shed.

"My people relied on the production company. In my opinion, they should have kicked it upstairs for me or one of the senior management team to sign off, and they didn't," he said.

Prime Minister Helen Clark called the DVD recall a "botch-up" and said she doubted National would be able to reclaim all those it had handed out.

"I haven't seen it but I believe it to be vacuous in every respect," she said of the video. "Without the music, it will be even more vacuous."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/4310859a6009.html

Jonny's personal fluffer Texasluvsjonny's Avatar
    Livin' large in the Friends and Family room!

Fav Album : AROBTTH
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!
    Chance for Chrissy to have the pap attack removed from his record.
    Houston-Austin-Dallas-Cleveland-Indy-Alpine Valley-Dallas-ACL Taping-Houston-Dallas-Milwaukee-Today Show-Chicago-Chicago-DC-Philly-Orlando-Ft.Lauderdale-Houston-Dallas-Birmingham-Indy-San Antonio-Dallas-Houston-Alpine Valley-London-London-Mexico City-Mexico City-Guadalajara-Monterrey-Chicago-ACL Taping-Austin-Today Show- L.A.-Dallas-Dallas-Houston-Houston-DC-DC-East Rutherford-Chicago-Chicago-Brooklyn- NYC-NYC...
    Jonny

5. #5 Recalled DVD still effective - National 

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

National leader John Key denies that the recall of a promotional DVD has damaged its ability to be an effective marketing tool for the party.

National was forced to recall almost 20,000 discs featuring a music track similar to a song by British band Coldplay because the EMI record company raised concerns.

Mr Key says the production company may have been able to use the music legally, but that was not enough to meet his personal standards.

He says the DVD is still getting out National's message.

Mr Key says the amended DVD is back on the party's website and National will continue its promotional roadshow later this week.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest...ive_-_national

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    does coldplay have a problem with it? or is it EMI themselves?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I think its the record company EMI thats packed a sad over it!!!!!!!!!!

a thousand houses long ApproximatelyInfinite's Avatar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    i havent heard the song, but blantant rip-offs really bother me.

:
    Quote:
    "The test is 'does it confuse?' Does the public listen to that and think 'that's Clocks?' There's a very fine line when you're doing this and you have to be careful not to cross it. And I'm not sure they haven't."

if the similarities are obvious enough to cause this much of a stink over it, im sure they have crossed it. there's a Chrysler car commerical here in the states which basically IS "clocks" played on a synthesizer or something. frankly, im surprised no ones jumped on that yet. i think they should.

But I know one day, good things are coming our way

M A L C J

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Its not a song but an instrumental piece on the dvdFace it Mr Keys prob is a closet COLDPLAY fan anyway !!!!!!!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Awhisper21;2194540
    i havent heard the song, but blantant rip-offs really bother me.

if the similarities are obvious enough to cause this much of a stink over it, im sure they have crossed it. there's a Chrysler car commerical here in the states which basically IS "clocks" played on a synthesizer or something. frankly, im surprised no ones jumped on that yet. i think they should.

Oh Coldplay ! Oh Bayern ! brazzo's Avatar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    now they can ask Chris to be a National Party leader now
    Travis 8/4 Taipei concert Rock my year!
    http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1622/dsc00023ta8.jpg