Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Sleaze In The Park GazeboflossUK's Avatar
    Chat posts
    Weller makes himself look a bit silly really, slightly ignorant.....when infact he probably isn't. Real music fans can see why what he said is misguided but alot of happy go, only radio listeners will just think back to the overplayed singles.

Slightly irritating.
    We are tired of your abuse
    Try to stop us it's no use
    Society's arms think they're smart
    I find satisfaction in what they lack
    We are born with a chance
    I am gonna have my chance
    Rise above...
    Rise above...

2. Sponsored Links
    Coldplayer
    Chat posts
    Couldn't agree with your more, YamiMarik528!

As for Weller, well. *jots down his name on mile long list of people who think Coldplay are shit*

Hmmm, still not nearly as long as the people who think they're THE shit.

Chat posts
    poor kids..
    Coldplay 19 September 2008, Oslo Spektrum
    Coldplay 31 October 2005, Oslo Spektrum
    Coldplay 12 July 2001, Oslo Rockefeller

Please visit: www.myspace.com/einarstraymusic

Coldplayer
    Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kekita
    :
    Quote:

"I don't get Coldplay and James Blunt though. They bore the shit out of me.

that's how its supposed to be- parents are not meant to get the music of today
    except the cool ones

*rofl* that was exactly my first thought as well...

If we could float away... Mimixxx's Avatar
    Chat posts
    Coldplay bland?

And this is coming from Paul Weller?!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    M

Chat posts
    ive never heard of this Paul Weller anyways, or The Jam. i like jam though...

tempest-tossed!
    Chat posts
    just who the hell is paul weller?

Coldplayer
    Chat posts
    I like Paul Weller's music especially the work he did with the Jam. But Coldplay bland? I think Paul should go and listen to their albums and then he would know that they are not bland and are no way like James Blunt!
    Coldplay still rule!

Futureheads next month!

Chat posts
    I also never heard of Paul Weller....did he have any songs that were popular in America? I might have of heard his songs.

Chat posts
    Famous songs by ska-punkers The Jam:

A Town Called Malice
    Going Underground
    Start
    The Bitterest Pill
    Eton Rifles

He was also subsequently an integral member of The Style Council, who had a number of hits such as "My Ever Changing Moods".

Guitarist/vocalist Paul Weller broke up the Jam, the most popular British band of the early '80s, at the height of their success in 1982 because he was dissatisfied with their musical direction. Weller wanted to incorporate more elements of soul, R&B, and jazz into his songwriting, which is something he felt his punk-oriented bandmates were incapable of performing. In order to pursue this musical direction, he teamed up in 1983 with keyboardist Mick Talbot, a former member of the mod revival band the Merton Parkas. Together, Weller and Talbot became the Style Council other musicians were added according to what kind of music the duo were performing. With the Style Council, the underlying intellectual pretensions that ran throughout Weller's music came to the forefront.

Although the music was rooted in American R&B, it was performed slickly complete with layers of synthesizers and drum machines and filtered through European styles and attitudes. Weller's lyrics were typically earnest, yet his leftist political leanings became more pronounced. His scathing criticisms of racism, unemployment, Margaret Thatcher, and sexism sat uneasily beside his burgeoning obsession with high culture. As his pretensions increased, the number of hits the Style Council had decreased; by the end of the decade, the group was barely able to crack the British Top 40 and Weller had turned from a hero into a has-been.

Released in March of 1983, the Style Council's first single "Speak Like a Child" became an immediate hit, reaching number four on the British charts. Three months later, "The Money-Go-Round" peaked at number 11 on the charts as the group was recording an EP, Paris, which appeared in August; the EP reached number three. "Solid Bond in Your Heart" became another hit in November, peaking at number 11.

The Style Council released their first full-length album, Cafe Bleu, in March of 1984; two months later, a resequenced version of the record, retitled My Ever Changing Moods, was released in America. Cafe Bleu was Weller's most stylistically ambitious album to date, drawing from jazz, soul, rap, and pop. While it was musically all over the map, it was their most successful album, peaking at number five in the U.K. and number 56 in the U.S. "My Ever Changing Moods" became their first U.S. hit, peaking at number 29. In the summer of 1985, the Style Council had another U.K. Top Ten hit with "The Walls Come Tumbling Down." The single was taken from Our Favourite Shop, which reached number one on the U.K. charts; the record was released as Internationalists in the U.S. The live album, Home and Abroad, was released in the spring of 1986; it peaked at number eight.

And he's often referred to as "The Modfather"!!

Chat posts
    I love A Town Called Malice, fucking awesome song. But except for that i dont like his stuff....boring.

Chat posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldplay_steph
    I love A Town Called Malice, fucking awesome song. But except for that i dont like his stuff....boring.

"Going Underground" and "Start" were good, too - but "A Town Called Malice" was undoubtedly The Jam's finest moment..........................

Coldplayer
    Chat posts
    I dont have a clue who Paul Weller is or The Jam either ... anyway what do most critics know anyhow ... alot of them are old closed minded f***kers anyway ... sorry just venting it makes me mad when people dont like music that is honest!!!!

Joanna
    Used to be jwessel_99

Sept. 17, 2005 UMB St. Louis~first Coldplay show I have been to. It f***ing ROCKED!!!

[scroll:d6928b35f3]Im in CFU RU[/scroll:d6928b35f3]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12