Poll: What is your favourite U2 Album?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: U2

Page 456 of 472 FirstFirst ... 206356406446452453454455456457458459460466 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,840 of 7067
    And no, not the medicine! Allegra's Avatar

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251341
    I know. We were talking about the ways Coldplay could improve for the next album, and I said that they could definitely use more prominent basslines and sound more badass, like Bullet The Blue Sky, U2 in general.

And I get it why people compare Lights and Streets, but I just don't feel it... it doesn't get me nowhere near as emotional as Streets. I prefer Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, even Miracle Drug.

Normally criticizing a band or a song makes me wanna get more into it and eventually love it, lets see if this works.

Oh I totally agree with you about Sometimes...it's a real tearjerker, especially live. It was huge. And hearing Bono getting all choked up while he was singing it, made it even harder to hold the tears back. You just wanted to jump up on stage and give the guy a huge hug.

And someone earlier said that Yahweh wasn't good...have you seen U23D? Yahweh was a perfect ending. It's very beautiful.

Here it is in San Diego at the first show of the Vertigo Tour with 40...and I was there!...and then later that night I was just three feet from Bono in the parking lot at 1:30AM...awesome night!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SFCwsuW3s"]U2 - Yahweh / 40 (Live from San Diego, Vertigo Tour) - YouTube[/ame]

Dallas, Texas - November 19, 2008 - American Airlines Center
    Dallas, Texas - July 21, 2009 - Starplex - FRONT AND CENTER IN THE PIT!!! AND THEY TOOK MY COWBOY HAT!!!!!
    Dallas, Texas - June 22, 2012 - American Airlines Center

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAW!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/therealallegra/Coldplay/21286a.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
    Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    You're a U2 encyclopedia.

I definitely wanna see them live...
    That 360° stage was genius, they increased the capacity of venues by 25% with it.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251351
    You're a U2 encyclopedia.

Well, I had been a casual fan for 15 years. Then after I saw them live, finally, for the first time back in 2001, I've been an obsessed fan ever since. I have just about every book on them, and have read them all...except for U2 by U2...I finally found a hand held version of the book instead of trying to read the coffee table version...I gave up on that a long time ago. But I'll be up to speed this summer when I have more time. Other than that, I have Facebook to thank to keep me up to speed as to where the guys are and what they're up to if anything. Plus too I have a huge U2 family of friends to keep me up to speed as well.

Speaking of a U2 Encyclopedia...you might want to pick this up...but keep in mind it hasn't been updated since 2003...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/U2-Ultimate-Encyclopedia-Mark-Chatterton/dp/0946719632/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331527607&sr=1-5"]Amazon.com: U2: The Ultimate Encyclopedia (9780946719631): Mark Chatterton: Books[/ame]
    Dallas, Texas - July 21, 2009 - Starplex - FRONT AND CENTER IN THE PIT!!! AND THEY TOOK MY COWBOY HAT!!!!!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251351

I definitely wanna see them live...
    That 360° stage was genius, they increased the capacity of venues by 25% with it.

The CLAW, as it was called, was totally amazing and out of this world! It was the tallest structure ever made for a musical artist. When I stood underneath it, it was hard not to keep looking up...it was so huge and cool at the same time. It was so huge that you would want to buy tickets to more than one show to get the full effect of it.

I stood under all 3 different Claws four times...and I saw it's beauty from a distance twice. It was really like a spaceship!

The Claw became like an old friend too. I saw it first in 2009, and didn't see it again until 2011. Later last summer, they were sold at silent auction the day after the last 360 show. To this day nobody knows who bought them or where they went.

I miss The Claw.

At least one of them should have been saved and used at a museum like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It's part of music history and an engineering feat to boot! But Bono and the gang had no choice but to sell them...they were too expensive to keep in storage.

In my own happy paradise Wintergreen's Avatar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Man, I wish I could've seen the ZooTV tour. That performance of "Streets" from it was amazing.

Spoiler

I loved the 360 performance, too-"Amazing Grace" was a very nice touch for that song. Definite chills with both performances. I love the "galloping horses" image, that's exactly what "Streets" sounds like. It's got that "escapist beauty" quality to it, that song, and I LOVE it when music makes me want to stretch my arms out bird-style and just fly or run away to some greater place or something like that.

I'm 27 years old, so I think I'm too young yet to have a "bucket list", but regardless, if I were to make one, seeing U2 at least once in my lifetime is DEFINTELY on there in the top portion somewhere. The VERY moment I hear that U2 is touring again, I will pay close attention to the date when tickets go on sale, and will do everything in my power to be present at my computer the very day they go on sale. I'm trying to make sure nothing stops me this time around from seeing them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251320
    I do want that "meditative companion album to NLOTH".
    Also the "rock" album. But the dance music Will.I.Am/Guetta/RedOne colab album sounds like a disaster.

Haha Chris the worried fanboy. And Bono calling Eno, Lillywhite and Lanois a "dysfunctional family". Sorry for digging up ancient news.

^Edit: Seriously? They have these ideas for so long, 3-4 years, they should probably start releasing the albums one by one as Chris suggested.
    But I guess they're probably waiting to finish every album and release them as a 3 disc set, which is going to be amazing.

It would depend on how the Will.I.Am/Guetta one came out. If it was dance music along the lines of that "I'll Go Crazy..." remix (which I actually rather like. And I like the original song!) with a bit of "Discotheque" style thrown in as well, that could actually sound really interesting and cool (especially given that it'd be from 4 men in their 50s...that's the biggest challenge, trying to pull off that sort of sound at their age without people finding it awkward or "trying too hard to fit in").

But the other two albums? Yeah, agreed, definitely up for hearing those, too. Interesting to hear Chris giving advice-it's a tough call, if that stuff's been sitting around for years and there's not much else that needs to be done with it, yeah, I'd go ahead and start releasing that music post-haste. But if they want to noodle around with it a bit more, that would explain waiting. Don't want it to be too rushed, don't want to wait too long, either. Hm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251292
    Ha, on my dad's birthday.
    It has aged astonishingly well.

My dad's birthday's in March, too! On the 27th, but still... So he was just shy of 30 when The Joshua Tree was released. Me, I was...2 years old, would turn 3 later in the year.

"With Or Without You" has always been my favorite song from that album. That song is desert island material for me. I don't care how many times I've heard it over the years, I can never, ever tire of it. And I like that that review said something positive about "Trip Through Your Wires", I love that song. But it often seems I'm alone in that feeling.

(I like Rattle & Hum, too, but that's for another discussion)

Quote:
    I know. We were talking about the ways Coldplay could improve for the next album, and I said that they could definitely use more prominent basslines and sound more badass, like Bullet The Blue Sky, U2 in general.

This I would LOVE to hear. I like it when Coldplay taps into their darker side a bit, and they've got some great rock moments in their catalog, so yeah, if they were to go that route, I'd be all for it.

Heck, they could go beyond "Bullet The Blue Sky"-styling-I fully believe they could well have an Achtung Baby in them somewhere as well.

Quote:
    And I get it why people compare Lights and Streets, but I just don't feel it... it doesn't get me nowhere near as emotional as Streets. I prefer Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, even Miracle Drug.

In terms of positive feeling, I can see where "City of Blinding Lights" and "Streets" could compare. But in terms of raw emotion, yeah, I can see where you think "Sometimes" might fit better. Different emotions, but both equally poignant.

Like "Kite", "Sometimes" means a lot to me personally as well.

*Thinks to self* Do I have that U2 ultimate encyclopedia? I can't remember now. Hm.
    "And tell me you love me
    Come back and haunt me"

"Lights will guide you home..."

Fri., August 10th, 2012
    Xcel Energy Center
    St. Paul, MN

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    @Allegra
    You've been a fan for 15 before you saw them? I've been a fan for 1,5 months and I wanna see them so bad. And Coldplay.
    I think I'll wait until they update that Encyclopedia, in the meantime, the internet and you people provide all the answers.
    They changed the Claw 3x? And somebody bought them? What the fuck are they going to do with them?

@Angela
    I forgot to mention, as someone said before, if their dance album is along the lines of that I'll Go Crazy remix, I'll like it.
    They should use real percussion instruments to make it sound more organic, but still dance-y, with Latin and African beats. That'd be great!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251338
    U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name (ZOO TV - Live from Sydney 1993) [16:9] - YouTube

I just watched this and I felt the same way... inexplicable joy and optimism in those chimes.
    And that beat, like galloping horses. It actually makes you wanna run.

P.S. Damn it Bono, screw the clothing line, finish those albums.
    P.P.S. Do they call themselves Bono and Edge or Paul and David?

I remember when I first watched Zoo TV Live From Sydney and this one really sent shivers down my spine. The intro with Zoo Station and the transition from Until The End Of The World to New Years Day also sent shivers down my spine but that was something else....and I was only watching it on my own tv! The way they front loaded the show with Achtung Baby was incredible. Zoo TV was the Sgt Pepper of live touring. It changed everything. To this day though, I have never heard a more captivating, incredible song performed that isn't Where The Streets Have No Name.

John Atkinson Grimshaw - Southwark Bridge by Moonlight

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howyousawtheworld;5251645
    I remember when I first watched Zoo TV Live From Sydney and this one really sent shivers down my spine. The intro with Zoo Station and the transition from Until The End Of The World to New Years Day also sent shivers down my spine but that was something else....and I was only watching it on my own tv! The way they front loaded the show with Achtung Baby was incredible. Zoo TV was the Sgt Pepper of live touring. It changed everything. To this day though, I have never heard a more captivating, incredible song performed that isn't Where The Streets Have No Name.

Have you seen them live?

Look at Bono's face @5:19.
    I cannot imagine how he must feel when he looks at that sea of people singing back his lyrics.
    It's gotta be a whole nother level being in the audience instead of just watching it on the screen.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251824
    Have you seen them live?

Look at Bono's face @5:19.
    I cannot imagine how he must feel when he looks at that sea of people singing back his lyrics.
    It's gotta be a whole nother level being in the audience instead of just watching it on the screen.

Never seen them live. Genuinely never been in a position to see them live which is disappointing, which is why I am desperate for them to tour again so I can see them.

I also like your point earlier about Coldplay being more "bad ass" like Bullet the Blue Sky. Violet Hill was a proper gritty rock song that was brilliant but that's the closest. Major Minus is awesome but I much prefer the live version than the studio version. They should really go back to writing dark songs but do so in a different way.

John Atkinson Grimshaw - Southwark Bridge by Moonlight

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone heard the second disc of the deluxe edition of The Joshua Tree? Got it yesterday, some good songs on there like Luminous Times and Wave of Sorrow.

Account disabled

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to know if Bono goes well or not, this is not his role with the supermodels.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ered-show.html

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howyousawtheworld;5251869
    Never seen them live. Genuinely never been in a position to see them live which is disappointing, which is why I am desperate for them to tour again so I can see them.

I also like your point earlier about Coldplay being more "bad ass" like Bullet the Blue Sky. Violet Hill was a proper gritty rock song that was brilliant but that's the closest. Major Minus is awesome but I much prefer the live version than the studio version. They should really go back to writing dark songs but do so in a different way.

I'm sure they'll tour again and I hope we'll get the chance to see them.

Yeah, definitely. Violet Hill is the ONLY proper rock song on the album, the only song they can perform without playing back strings and weird instruments. Too bad there weren't more songs like that on VLV. And Major Minus is the only "badass" song on MX. It's a shame they portion control their badassness and proper rockiness, so I wish that they would just go in that direction completely for the next album. The studio tweaks don't bother me, U2 does that a lot. They don't have to be completely stripped down songs like on their first 2 albums. I don't mind them experimenting.

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoryABjerre;5251927
    I wanted to know if Bono goes well or not, this is not his role with the supermodels.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ered-show.html

Oh Lory, always with the supermodels. That Spider-Man stage show sounds stupid. Why would he associate himself with this.
    Bono's wife must be very understanding. I've seen him kissing fans on the lips, like this woman, partying with supermodels etc. Interesting...

In my own happy paradise Wintergreen's Avatar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    There's also a picture floating around out there from years ago where he's tonguing...one of the Oasis brothers, if I recall rightly . Bono will flirt with pretty much anything that moves.

I've pretty much stayed out of the whole "Spider-Man" debacle. I heard a song from the show that Bono and Edge wrote on some show once, can't remember which one. And I've heard about the nightmare disasters that kept befalling the thing. And that's as aware as I've been of the whole mess.
    "And tell me you love me
    Come back and haunt me"

"Lights will guide you home..."

Fri., August 10th, 2012
    Xcel Energy Center
    St. Paul, MN

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    ^

She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life
    Knows I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight
    There's a part of me in the chaos that's quiet
    And there's a part of you that wants me to riot

So his wife wants him to french other dudes. xD

Page 456 of 472 FirstFirst ... 206356406446452453454455456457458459460466 ... LastLast