Poll: What is your favourite U2 Album?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: U2

Page 455 of 472 FirstFirst ... 205355405445451452453454455456457458459465 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,825 of 7067
    In my own happy paradise Wintergreen's Avatar

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you like that version . The piano in it...I am always a sucker for a song with some fantastic piano work.

Not a bad song, that George Michael one. I do tend to like that sort of sound from time to time-some artists can just pull it off and make it sound really good/sexy, as it should be.
    "And tell me you love me
    Come back and haunt me"

"Lights will guide you home..."

Fri., August 10th, 2012
    Xcel Energy Center
    St. Paul, MN

2. #6812 The Joshua Tree - 25 Years Old 

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

0 Not allowed!
    It was a couple of days ago now but The Joshua Tree turned 25 on the 9th of March. Cited as one of the greatest albums of all time, the album transformed the career of U2 forever and ensured their place in music history. Below is an article from Stereogum for those interested.

Over the past year, Adele’s 21 has sold a few gajillion copies and sent plenty of music writers on soul-searching journeys trying to figure out why that happened and what it means. My own personal theory: For the first time in a while, a studio album sounds like a greatest-hits collection; it’s not hard to imagine any of the album’s tracks getting serious radio rotation 20 years from now. Over the years, we’ve heard an elite few studio albums that have that distinction; I’d say it belongs to records as disparate as Def Leppard’s Hysteria, Michael Jackson’s Bad, and Taylor Swift’s Fearless (the last one before 21). The first Killers album was about half of a greatest hits album, but it loses momentum as it goes. And then there’s U2, who have four or five of those albums to their credit. The greatest of those is The Joshua Tree, and it turns 25 today.

It’s weird to think that it took less than five years for U2 to get from the wailing sincerity of The Joshua Tree to the monolithic but wry dance-pop of Achtung Baby, but that’s what happened. And maybe it happened because U2 did everything that a huge and sincere rock band could plausibly be expected to do on The Joshua Tree, and after that, they had to embark on the sort of soul-searching journey that first led them to the embarrassing and self-aggrandizing blues toe-dipping of Rattle & Hum and then, finally, to Achtung Baby when that move didn’t work out. U2 were, of course, already a huge rock band by the time they got to The Joshua Tree, and previous efforts War and The Unforgettable Fire already sounded something like greatest-hits albums. They’d already worked with the production team of Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. They’d already contributed a bunch of songs that will continue to live on classic-rock playlists until long after we’re all dead. But The Joshua Tree represented an absolute refinement of everything they’d already been doing. They dialed back the save-the-world theatrics, dialed up the sensual throb, and they came out sounding more calm and confident than ever before. They loosely patterned the album around the vague theme of America, and Americans rewarded them by buying 10 million copies of it.

It’s easy to make fun of U2 for their messianic tendencies, tendencies that are on full display on the album, but the final product is just bulletproof. The opening salvo (“Where The Streets Have No Name,” “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” “With Or Without You,” “Bullet The Blue Sky”) is one for the ages, and the album doesn’t really fall off in quality after it. “Trip Through The Wires” is the sort of honking-harmonica bar-rock anthem that only Springsteen and maybe (maybe) Mellencamp were doing this well at the time, and it’s a good indicator of why the band felt like they could pull off the BB King experiments of Rattle & Hum. “Exit” is an overwrought stomp-wail that somehow comes off way better than it should. “Mothers Of The Disappeared” is one of the prettiest, most graceful moments in a catalog rich with them. Bono tried out goddam spoken-word on “Bullet The Blue Sky” and ended up sounding elemental and prophetic rather than ridiculous. The big stylistic leaps don’t feel big here, since the band sounded like nothing was outside its reach. It’s a band at the precise moment where they can’t fuck anything up, and there’s not a single weak part in the album’s 50 minutes. That’s really something. And to this day, the album is a huge part of the reason that the band gets to earn ungodly sums of money with gigantic stadium shows. Respect is due.

So: What’s your favorite song from The Joshua Tree? Or your favorite memory from the album? Does “With Or Without You” just give you Ross and Rachel flashbacks, or is there something more substantive there? Or maybe Ross and Rachel flashbacks are enough? Share with us in the comments section, and check out some videos from the album below.

http://stereogum.com/973162/the-josh...urns-25/photo/

John Atkinson Grimshaw - Southwark Bridge by Moonlight

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Ha, on my dad's birthday.
    It has aged astonishingly well.

Any news regarding the new album?

And no, not the medicine! Allegra's Avatar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperFitz;5224311
    I see. Well, here's hoping they will eventually make it available for mere mortals such as myself. Or I could just torrent it one day

As far as U22 is concerned, it's suppose to only go out to resubscribed or new members of U2.com. There's always a possibility you might find it on eBay. But if a U2.com member is caught selling their copy on eBay or elsewhere, they will automatically be banned from U2.com. So good luck...member only copies are hard to come by and that's the reason.

U22 hasn't been given to members yet that I know of. I resubbed on February 15 and I still don't have it yet. It might take another month or so. Live Nation is real slow about putting out new member stuff.

And my vote for the best B-side/remix album is Artificial Horizon. Again, that's another one of those member only deals and might be hard to find or might be very expensive.
    Dallas, Texas - November 19, 2008 - American Airlines Center
    Dallas, Texas - July 21, 2009 - Starplex - FRONT AND CENTER IN THE PIT!!! AND THEY TOOK MY COWBOY HAT!!!!!
    Dallas, Texas - June 22, 2012 - American Airlines Center

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAW!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/therealallegra/Coldplay/21286a.jpg

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allegra;5251302
    As far as U22 is concerned, it's suppose to only go out to resubscribed or new members of U2.com. There's always a possibility you might find it on eBay. But if a U2.com member is caught selling their copy on eBay or elsewhere, they will automatically be banned from U2.com. So good luck...member only copies are hard to come by and that's the reason.

U22 hasn't been given to members yet that I know of. I resubbed on February 15 and I still don't have it yet. It might take another month or so. Live Nation is real slow about putting out new member stuff.

And my vote for the best B-side/remix album is Artificial Horizon. Again, that's another one of those member only deals and might be hard to find or might be very expensive.

I'm not an official member but if I become an official member I can get a copy of U22 right?

John Atkinson Grimshaw - Southwark Bridge by Moonlight

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    If any song that should have been on U22, it should have been this one...without the votes of the fans...it should have been required...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEyeurOMxw"]U2 - '' 40 '' Live Moncton Last U2 Concert of 2011 [PROSHOT] [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]
    Dallas, Texas - July 21, 2009 - Starplex - FRONT AND CENTER IN THE PIT!!! AND THEY TOOK MY COWBOY HAT!!!!!

1220 Hurts Like Heaven Street, The Little Apple

Thumbs Up
    Given: 14

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251292

heard no album this year says, Edge.

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allegra;5251317
    If any song that should have been on U22, it should have been this one...without the votes of the fans...it should have been required...

U2 - '' 40 '' Live Moncton Last U2 Concert of 2011 [PROSHOT] [HQ] - YouTube

I like Bono's voice more now than in the early 80s (first 3 albums).

And I've been listening to No Line quite a lot, surprisingly. I do want that "meditative companion album to NLOTH".
    Also the "rock" album. But the dance music Will.I.Am/Guetta/RedOne colab album sounds like a disaster.

Haha Chris the worried fanboy. And Bono calling Eno, Lillywhite and Lanois a "dysfunctional family". Sorry for digging up ancient news.

^Edit: Seriously? They have these ideas for so long, 3-4 years, they should probably start releasing the albums one by one as Chris suggested.
    But I guess they're probably waiting to finish every album and release them as a 3 disc set, which is going to be amazing.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howyousawtheworld;5251309
    I'm not an official member but if I become an official member I can get a copy of U22 right?

You sure can!

Click on the link below...

http://www.u2.com/service/subscribe

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5227218

I guess this is the city of Fez in Morocco?

U2 - Magnificent - YouTube

The answer is yes.

And speaking of Magnificent...I think this is the new Streets...that and City of Blinding Lights.

And earlier someone mentioned that they didn't like I'll Go Crazy...have you heard the live dance remix? It's so much better. And it was a lot of fun experiencing it live.

Here's a clip...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llHlZ9FT7VU&feature=relmfu"]U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (U2 360°) - YouTube[/ame]

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allegra;5251331
    The answer is yes.

And speaking of Magnificent...I think this is the new Streets...that and City of Blinding Lights.

And earlier someone mentioned that they didn't like I'll Go Crazy...have you heard the live dance remix? It's so much better. And it was a lot of fun experiencing it live.

Here's a clip...

U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (U2 360°) - YouTube

What else would it be.

And yeah, Magnificent is magnificent. It sounds.... wide. Which was probably their intention. I like the video too. Also shot in Morocco like that pic.
    The first 3 songs on No Line are perfect, a great start. Nothing beats the opening 3 songs of The Joshua Tree though, but still... pretty damn good.

It wasn't me who said that, but I'll say this - at first, I thought that that song is... awkward, but now I love it, both versions.
    And I do love City Of Blinding Lights, but I wouldn't proclaim it the new anything. I think there are better songs on that album.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251292

Nope...no news yet. The only thing I do know is that Bono is not in the studio. He and his wife were last seen in Hollywood promoting their clothing line, Edun.

And my favorite song off of the now 25 year old JT album is Streets. It has stood the test of time, and is timeless. It's also their most powerful piece...as seen here...of course MLK is a good opener to Streets, but so is Amazing Grace...

...goosebumps and tears y'all...goosebumps and tears...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKC5qKTeJ9k&context=C4aaff7cADvjVQa1PpcFMd l7qY9GcxjGZrLMZ7ochus73pHixAVnw="]U2 360° At Rose Bowl (HD) - Where The Streets Have No Name - YouTube[/ame]

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsMsmiwxGAk"]U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name (ZOO TV - Live from Sydney 1993) [16:9] - YouTube[/ame]

I just watched this and I felt the same way... inexplicable joy and optimism in those chimes.
    And that beat, like galloping horses. It actually makes you wanna run.

P.S. Damn it Bono, screw the clothing line, finish those albums.
    P.P.S. Do they call themselves Bono and Edge or Paul and David?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikola;5251333
    What else would it be.

And yeah, Magnificent is magnificent. It sounds.... wide. Which was probably their intention. I like the video too. Also shot in Morocco like that pic.
    The first 3 songs on No Line are perfect, a great start. Nothing beats the opening 3 songs of The Joshua Tree though, but still... pretty damn good.

It wasn't me who said that, but I'll say this - at first, I thought that that song is... awkward, but now I love it, both versions.
    And I do love City Of Blinding Lights, but I wouldn't proclaim it the new anything. I think there are better songs on that album.

But...during the Vertigo tour, Blinding Lights did become the new Streets. It was the perfect opening song...and confetti to boot!...mind you that was before Coldplay (those U2 copiers!)

That's why I love Coldplay...they look up to U2 and take what works and make it better..."Every artist is a cannibal/Every poet is a thief."

Coldplayer

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allegra;5251340
    But...during the Vertigo tour, Blinding Lights did become the new Streets. It was the perfect opening song...and confetti to boot!...mind you that was before Coldplay (those U2 copiers!)

That's why I love Coldplay...they look up to U2 and take what works and make it better..."Every artist is a cannibal/Every poet is a thief."

I know. We were talking about the ways Coldplay could improve for the next album, and I said that they could definitely use more prominent basslines and sound more badass, like Bullet The Blue Sky, U2 in general.

And I get it why people compare Lights and Streets, but I just don't feel it... it doesn't get me nowhere near as emotional as Streets. I prefer Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, even Miracle Drug.

Normally criticizing a band or a song makes me wanna get more into it and eventually love it, lets see if this works.

Page 455 of 472 FirstFirst ... 205355405445451452453454455456457458459465 ... LastLast